• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Screen tearing vs mouse input lag

Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
47
Any ideas or thoughts on how to eliminate or reduce tearing without vsync? I'm one of those dreadful souls who can't stand either. Recently started playing Borderlands 2 and... yeah, the tearing without vsync is a game breaker. But, I loathe mouse lag just as much. For most FPS games I cap my frames and, while I still get some tearing, it's nothing major. However, in some games, like BL2, I've tried capping my frames to 59, 58, but doesn't help. I get lines that move up the bottom of my screen, things get sluggish when panning my screen around, or I can see the splits and tears. Adaptive vsync doesn't seem to work either.

I'm honestly amazed a new tech hasn't come to remedy this age old annoyance. It's like a lose-lose situation. How do other people cope? Most games aren't that bad, but Borderlands 2 is pretty bad with the tearing.
 
you need 58fps + vsync + triple buffering

triple buffering along with a 58fps cap makes vsync much more tolerable :)

vsync off + 120hz refresh rate + 125fps is even better for competitive FPS gaming because the mouse response feels more fluid but most 3D monitors are way too expensive for what they offer.
 
You might also be being bugged by a slow response screen or screen settings.
What display are you using?
 
you need 58fps + vsync + triple buffering

triple buffering along with a 58fps cap makes vsync much more tolerable :)

vsync off + 120hz refresh rate + 125fps is even better for competitive FPS gaming because the mouse response feels more fluid but most 3D monitors are way too expensive for what they offer.

Never considered capping at 58 with vsync with triple buffering. I was capping at 58 without vsync. If I recall correctly, vsync always adds input lag, just by its nature, even if you're capped at 58. But, I will give it a try.

You might also be being bugged by a slow response screen or screen settings.
What display are you using?

24" 120hz screen I've been using in Quake, UT, and CS. I can't maintain a constant 120fps in Borderlands 2, so I drop to 60hz to avoid large frame rate dips during combat. BL2 just tears like a beast, though.

Yeah, you can kinda see why I'm such nitpick about mouse input lag considering the FPS games I play. I will notice any amount of input lag in a FPS game.
 
If you feel that Vsync pushes the input lag from acceptable to bothersome (considering you have stable 60fps) there is something else in the system you need to worry about thats causing way worse lag. The lag Vsync causes is roughly ~1 frame. Again, when the framerate is stable that is. Anyway, thats shorter than fart of a fly and there is no way in hell you will feel it with your mouse UNLESS there is something else that has obnoxious amount of lag in the first place and it gets added on top. Try dropping the prerendered frames in your GPU settings, that also helps with the lag in some cases.
 
Are you actually getting 60+ fps to begin with? Turn off SSAO if you have it on.
 
Before too many people come in here claiming you're crazy and there's no input lag with vsync.. :rolleyes:

You need a framerate cap at a couple frames below what your monitor's refresh rate is. So for most people, 58fps.

Vsync was the death of me until I found out about framerate limiting. :)
 
you could also try borderless window mode with windows aero active. The v-sync from aero grandfathers onto a borderless window. But doesn't seem to be as harsh as normal fullscreen v-sync in a game.
 
Back
Top