• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Screen tearing/red vertical strips

vitalym

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
295
If I'm seeing the tearing during the POST, does that pretty much mean the card is gone?

What happened was I turn on my PC and I got a popup that there was a new update for Java. I started the update and I can't recall but it may have failed, but after I restarted and got back into Windows 7 I started to see my screen flashing pixels.

Eventually the screen started flickering and it would black out for a few seconds, go back to normal, black out for a bit longer, back to normal, and cycle like that for a little bit before the PC would restart itself. Once it got to the POST screen, I saw red pixelated vertical bars.

Could the software have somehow affected my GF 8800GTS? I tried a system restore but that didn't help. My friend gave me his GTX 295 to use instead so it is a nice upgrade, but the 295 runs way too hot. Any thoughts on what I can do?
 
If it were me, I'd first start from scratch. Reset BIOS to default if altered. Reapply any must have settings (AHCI for example if used.) Reinstall Windows, and hope for the best.

If that fails to work, contact the card maker and see what they have to offer up in support/RMA options.
 
If you can, try the card in another PC and someone elses card in yours, that narrows it down to the hardware being broken.
 
Back
Top