Screen Sharing in a small classroom.

I am taking a camera class, everyone sits a desk with a fairly new Optiplex 780, with Windows 7 pro on them and 20 inch Dell Professional monitors.
I want to be able to setup something easily so the teacher can share his screen on all of the computers in the class, the projector is terrible.

NetMeeting does not exist. Vista had Windows MeetingSpace which would have been absolutely perfect. Windows 7 has SharedView, which is discontinued, is a separate download, and has to be used over the internet with a windows live login.

Is there some VNC, free app out there that the teacher can put on his laptop, and have everyone connect to? Over the lan? There are many web-based options, but that probably be slow.

I can use the Bomgar and work and host a presentation, which is what I will probably do, but I have a feeling it is going to suck up a ton of bandwidth and run like crap. We want to display examples of photography in full color.

He of course doesn't even know of these plans. But I think it would be very helpful, and I want to utilize these computers we are sitting at.

Could I bring in a Vista laptop, start a MeetingSpace, and have the Windows 7 computers connect to it?

VLC has basic screen sharing built in, but obviously no ability to block access to the internet, and chat functions which are sometimes used in school environments.

The last time I dealt with this issue was back in 2002 with XP computers. In a classroom we used a program called Netop. It worked fairly well for our CAD lab at the time. I did a quick Google search on the name to see if it is still around and it looks like it is... http://www.netop.com/. I don't know anything regarding pricing.

I do contract work at a tech college, they have these dell dongle thingys that work via usb......they project whats on the projector onto the screen.....unsure what its called, but it is dell branded, on dell Optiplex machines. I know its not much help, but just figured I would say it.

The company I work for has a local private school as a client and they use iTALC for their student computer labs.

http://italc.sourceforge.net/

From the iTALC website: "...show a demo (either in fullscreen or in a window) - the teacher's screen is shown on all student's computers in realtime".

Back