screen shaking

creepcolony

Limp Gawd
i notice that every once in a while my screen shakes and doesn't stop (like it is right now)
is this a monitor problem or a video card problem? my monitor is a ¢rappy KDS 17" CRT and my video card is a radeon 9800 pro.

Earthquake!!! :cool:

Sounds like a monitor prob. Try hooking another monitor to the vid card to diagnose.

yes, the physical monitor is not shaking, only what is being displayed.
and as i am typing this, the shaking had stopped, but it will start up again. it's pretty sporadic.

Pull out the VGA cable, look for crapola on the connections and then plug it back in....make sure itsa good connection. If it still happens try to get another cable to test. My monitor used to do something like that....it was a bad connection.

The problem most likely is interference. If you have a power center/surge protector near it, it may cause the screen to shake. Speakers/Sub near the monitor will also cause the interference.

if your cable has ferret choke on both end, then it is definitely the monitor. It's a cheap monitor anyway, get rid of it and get a Dell 2405

Try cranking down your refresh rate. It could be that it's on the borderline of what your monitor is syncing to. Sometimes it syncs, sometimes it doesn't. Go for good old 60hz and see if it happens. If not, crank it back up slowly until comfort is again reached.

I had the EXACT same monitor and it started doing that. Is it about 3 years old? mine was when it started doing that. I just replaced it with an L90D+.

HI are you sure its not just your eyes? With CRTs if you have your refresh rate too low, it will look like the screen is shaking. Anything lower than 75 hz is bad for your eyes and can cause permanent damage. I used to have that problem, but then found out my refresh rate was 65hz @ 1280 * 1024 on a 17" crt. I changed it to 85hz @ 1024* 780 and have never had it happen to me since. I could be wrong though. It could be your monitors screen is really shaking. Just thought Id put my two scents in.

Later

Mine used to shake when i had my speaker next to it. it also seems to shake when i put my TV on (when it used to be next to my montior). Try moving a few things away from your monitor.

The picture on my NEC AccuSync 95F started shaking a while back (the left and right sides of the image would expand and contract eratically). Three days later I hear a loud *CLICK* and it never came back on again. Come to think of it, I do recall there being the distinct smell of burning. It wasn't too pleasant. I thought my computer was overheating.

I'd be looking for the phone number of your monitor's manufacturer. You may need to have a replacement sent out to you in the near future. Or, screw the CRT monitor and go for a nice LCD. I'm probably going to do that in the near future!

well i'm glad no one has suggested it was my video card.

my refresh rate is at 85hz at 1024x768 resolution. never had a problem before. however, since i posted this yesterday, it has not shook.

the speakers i have are generic gateway speakers. i use headphones for gaming so most of the time they're not even on.

i will probably get an LCD monitor in the summer but until then, i need this monitor to stay alive.

Does it ever shake when somone is using the microwave ? Mine used to do the same thing when someone turned it on... my monitor was directly adjacent to it through the wall so interference is definitely something to check out.

Back