Screen Shaking...

PornoSatan

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 3, 2004
Messages
3,493
I bought a Viewsonic A90f+ 19" a while back and had it working fine.. until I moved. Ever since I've moved there hasnt been a refresh rate or resolution that hasnt annoyed the shit out of my eyes. At 1024x768 at a refresh rate of 75hz the screen shakes real violently and would most definately cause some eye problems if looked at for too long. 85hz is far less so but still an eye strainer and (I think) is whats causing my current eye problems. I would go above 85hz but my normal display is running at 1280x960, which is the max refresh/res combination I was happy with, 1024x768 is just too small for normal desktop operation on such a large screen. Oddly enough 60 hz has the least amount of shaking but ofcourse has that annoying "flicker" to it.

Its far more noticable and prevailent when TV's are on and such. I've done a test where I turn the contrast all the way down and the brightness about halfway to display moire patterns, and if I try reducing the moire patterns the entire screen starts to shake even more. I think it might be a power issue but im not entirely sure. Tips//help?

Just to add, there's nothing close to it that could cause interference, the TV is across the room, and not much else close to it except a lamp at adequate distance, and then all the typical crap, modem, router etc.
 
PornoSatan said:
At 1024x768 at a refresh rate of 75hz the screen shakes real violently
Your problem is definitely ElectroMagnetic (EM) interferrence. I had the same problem and I couldn't find the source since I had nothing around the monitor (speakers, fluorescent lights, power cables, etc.) that would cause it. I eventually deduced that it must have been the power source to the monitor. There was noise on the power cable which was transferring to the monitor.

PornoSatan said:
Oddly enough 60 hz has the least amount of shaking but ofcourse has that annoying "flicker" to it.
This is because power operates on a 60hz cycle so that when your monitor is in sync with it you don't notice it as much but it's still there. If you find 60hz to be too hard on the eyes you can try a multiple of 60hz like 120hz. You won't notice the flickering as much.

PornoSatan said:
Its far more noticable and prevailent when TV's are on and such.
This is a sure sign of line noise. You can buy a noise filter for your power supply from APS which operates much like a UPS. I would try to find one at a BestBuy or something and then return it if it doesn't fix your problem. It should set you back $150 CDN or so.

My solution was to just get an LCD monitor. No more problems. The 2407 should be coming out soon too.... ;)
 
It's been a while since I posted that. The only temporary solution I could come up with was going down to 1024x768 and bumping the refresh up to 100hz (max sadly). A desktop with a 19" CRT at 1024x768 is.. large.

I originally believed it had to have been interference with a TV in another room on the same wall, so I moved it to an area that leads to the main hall (live in an apt.). This did not work either, still the same issues. The issue has prevailed with both a 9600 and my current 6800, so its not a video card issue. What I believe to be the issue is the monitor itself, or the electrical lines.

I can test it by the moire effects. It seems to shake more violently if I try to reduce the moire effect. By turning the contrast all the way down, and the brightness relatively high, while sitting on a black background, I can display the moire effects better. When I do this, and leave apply my moire reduction, the lines begin to shake more violently. Even with absolutely zero moire reduction settings, it still shakes. If this is the culprit or not I'm unsure.

Another problem is I dont have another monitor handy that can do higher resolution//refresh's to compare with. My only other monitor is a 15" CRT bubble screen that can do 1024x768 at 60hz max. Not a real good candidate to compare with.
 
Back
Top