Screen ripping/tearing during 5770 overclock OR underclock

hardshwick

n00b
Installed my new xfx 5770 today on my xp 32 machine with catalyst 10.2 drivers, dual monitors.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180BD6108&vpn=HD577AZNFC&manufacture=XFX

Ran 3dmark06, everything was fine, 12.2k with my e4400 @ 2.8ghz.

Tried to overclock the 5770 by 5mhz using ati overdrive utility. Passed the test, also no sudden fps drops while running ati tool, also 3dmark06 ran well.

However, whenever I opened a new window, or small animations occured such as on msi afterburner when you scroll over the graphs, it causes a screen rip/tear. It also happens intermittently.

This happens when I try to underclock the card too at 800mhz, at 845mhz, and when I run both of my monitors at 60hz or 75hz.

This also happens during the loading screen of 3dmark06 and the cpu tests, but not the graphics tests. I was able to run 3dmark06 with the gpu at 960mhz and got a higher score.

Is this a driver problem? Does my card need to run at 850mhz EXACTLY? Did I get the pickiest card ever?

Last edited:
I run an XFX 5770 stock and I don't have these problems; if they go away when you're running stock, you might just leave well alone. I'm not sure there is a solution to your problem otherwise.

it is not the card. This is a well known issue when running dual monitors. What is happening is the Powerplay is dropping the core speed to 157 and the memory speed to 300 in 2D mode. Some have had luck making a profile and manually changing the clock setting but it didn't work for me. Unfortunately the only option is to either live with it or run the stock settings. This has been an issue since the 5800 series has been released and there is still no fix on the horizon which leads me to believe it not fixable. Regardless if they dont have this dual monitor issue fixed by the time Fermi is released and Fermi is not a dud then I am jumping ship.

Back