Screen Resolution

So however good my Graphics Card is, will my maximum resolution be limited by the monitor?

what kind of monitor and video card do you have?

generally at this point.. and video card you can get will be able to run at the max of the monitor's capability..

lcd monitors need to be ran at native resolution, otherwise they don't look right.. and it pisses me off because i see so many people run them at different resolutions.. what a waste of money..

crt monitors can be run at anything except resolutions too high to work..

or something like that..

I have a 14.1" XGA TFT LCD monitor apparently (it says it on the front).
If I was to purchase a Graphics Card enabling a screen resolution of 2048 x 1536, would I be able to push past the current maximum resolution of 1024 x 768, or would my monitor refuse to do it?

TehQuick said:
Both. State ur question more clearly, u might even get a clearer answer :rolleyes:

Yeah...I'm not really following exactly what it is you want to know...

Most all cards will run 2048x1536... but not on that monitor, I'm guessing it only supports 1024x768....

Oh dear :eek: ...
I was wondering if a '14.1" XGA TFT LCD' monitor generally has a limit of 1024 x 768. If I bought a Graphics Card which is advertised as enabling a maximum resolution of some value greater than 1024 x 768, would I be able to get the resolution up any more, or do these monitors have a limit of 1024 x 768?
Sorry if I am confusing...

g-megaman said:
Oh dear :eek: ...
I was wondering if a '14.1" XGA TFT LCD' monitor generally has a limit of 1024 x 768. If I bought a Graphics Card which is advertised as enabling a maximum resolution of some value greater than 1024 x 768, would I be able to get the resolution up any more, or do these monitors have a limit of 1024 x 768?
Sorry if I am confusing...

Ok...now we're getting somewhere...yes, it's you LCD that limits the resolution in this case. The video card has nothing to do with it.

Ok thanks.
That means I do not have to consider the resolution when I buy my next Graphics card :) .

To be more specific, all LCD screens have only one native resolution. Traditional monitors create pixels by using magnetic fields to focus electrons on the screen. The better the focusing setup and the finer the construction of the screen, the higher the maximum resolution. But any lower resolution works just fine, the focusing is just adjusted to "draw" bigger "dots" (pixels).

With an LCD screen, the dots are created by tiny circuits actually printed on the back surface of the screen. Each circuit gets turned on to create each individual dot (actually, there are three circuits for each dot, red green and blue, so they can mix their relative brightness to create different colors). The number of pixels, and thus the resolution, is a permanently hardwired number. The only way the screen can display a lower resolution is by faking it and using multiple smaller pixels to draw one larger pixel. Newer monitors do a better job at this than the old ones did, but it can still look ragged, especially with fine lines like text. As far as I know, an LCD can't go HIGHER than its built-in resolution--no way to fake smaller pixels out of larger ones.

CRTs have a reccomended Resolution to, Similar to LCDs native reso.

Thats where it looks best, Running under it things get kinda chunky, running over it things get a little to small.

However, CRTs are rated for a maximum resolution. Average max for 17inch monitors are 1280x1024, Tho they usually have it reccomended to run at 1024x768.

Exceeding the highest rated resolution can very easily damage a monitor, Specially after prolonged use.

I mean, Just running monitors above the reccomended resolution kills them rather quick.

Last monitor I had was reccomended at 1024, and I ran it at 1280, and it died within a year.

While the other monitor I have, I run at or below reccomended, and its lasted sheesh..forever :D

Komataguri said:
CRTs have a reccomended Resolution to, Similar to LCDs native reso.

Thats where it looks best, Running under it things get kinda chunky, running over it things get a little to small.

However, CRTs are rated for a maximum resolution. Average max for 17inch monitors are 1280x1024, Tho they usually have it reccomended to run at 1024x768.

Exceeding the highest rated resolution can very easily damage a monitor, Specially after prolonged use.

I mean, Just running monitors above the reccomended resolution kills them rather quick.

Last monitor I had was reccomended at 1024, and I ran it at 1280, and it died within a year.

While the other monitor I have, I run at or below reccomended, and its lasted sheesh..forever :D
I don't quite understand how running a CRT at above the recomended resolution could kill it. I mean, I don't understand how focusing a stream of electrons to display a larger res could shorten it's lifespan. It's only a magnetic field that's changing the direction of the electrons that get boiled off the cathode; it doesn't make sense that changing the intensity of the magnetic field would damage the monitor.

I always thought that the easiest way to kill a CRT was to leave it on all the time..

well if you put the resolution for something that your monitor can't do, you'll get a black screen and it'll say "Out of Scan range", or at least thats why 2 of my CRT's say

I don't quite understand how running a CRT at above the recomended resolution could kill it. I mean, I don't understand how focusing a stream of electrons to display a larger res could shorten it's lifespan. It's only a magnetic field that's changing the direction of the electrons that get boiled off the cathode; it doesn't make sense that changing the intensity of the magnetic field would damage the monitor.
Might not kill the tube but the electronics usually aren't meant to handle the extra bandwidth over time.

GTPoompt said:
well if you put the resolution for something that your monitor can't do, you'll get a black screen and it'll say "Out of Scan range", or at least thats why 2 of my CRT's say

of course, but why would you run it at a resolution it's not capable of in the first place

CRT's can be run at any resolution the specs say it can

for example they'll have a max resolution and refresh rate supported like for example 1600x1200 @ 75Hz

GVX said:

I always thought that the easiest way to kill a CRT was to leave it on all the time..
the only time i had one crap out on me was becuase i had it set to turn off after 1 minute of idle.. and i guess turning it on and off so many times killed it.. but as far as a screen burning out.. that just doesn't happen... i have seen old monnitors get dim from being on all the time.. that happened to my mom.. her vid card never went to idle.. so the monitor was on for probably 3 years straight.. and it just made it dim....

GVX said:

Just think of it as overclocking your CPU to the extreme. It generates alot of extra heat because the monitor is doing more work then its supposed to and firing more electrons at the screen then the specs say.

So it eventually gets burned up and dies.

Back