Screen glitches on desktop and browser only

EquaLiZr

Supreme [H]ardness
This started a few months ago and its completely random. While on the desktop or surfing the net the screen will randomly tear or get blocky. This NEVER happens in games. Running latest ATI drivers. System in sig.

Its been happening at least the last 4-5 driver updates.

This usually happens when the card is overheating the bad thing is usually once it happens your card is toast.

I'd look at th video cooling. May need a good cleaning because it sounds heat related.

Only time I had issues with tearing/blocks on desktop was when my idle memory clocks were low.

Its def not the cooling as I keep track of that all the time. My temps are way below max at all times. I will check my 2d clocks. Like I said its completely random. Sometimes it doesn't happen for days and is soo fast you can barely see it.

I had this problem when I had my 7950. It was related to the stock idling voltage being to low. I bumped it up to 1v and the problem was still there but doesn't occur as often. I found when my video card was under full load while browsing the web it would not occur. Googled the problem myself and found some people increased the idling voltage to fix it which worked for me. Hope this helps.

I had this problem when I had my 7950. It was related to the stock idling voltage being to low. I bumped it up to 1v and the problem was still there but doesn't occur as often. I found when my video card was under full load while browsing the web it would not occur. Googled the problem myself and found some people increased the idling voltage to fix it which worked for me. Hope this helps.

Will give it a try. let you know in a few days how it works:cool:

Actually had this happen on my otherwise rock solid 6570 a few days ago. I had the window open and it was around 50F inside the room, artifacting when mostly idle in desktop. Running Prime95/closing the window and letting it warm up and it went away.

My 7950 does this occasionally. I upped the voltage (for overclocking) and it still does it. Fortunately, although it happens often enough to notice it, it doesn't do it often enough to bug me. Maybe once or twice a day, max.

It's all about memory clocks.

1440p and 1080p120hz lcd's on idle memory clocks can cause issues on desktop for some amd cards.

Just bump up idle memory clocks using one of the various methods (xml, afterburner, etc...)

IS there a way to bump up idle voltage and clocks? In afterburner there is just the general voltage, clocks and misc things.

Tried running prime and it doesn't happen when its running. Ran fur-mark and nothing either.

I'll try and find what I used. From what I remember all it was was editing an XML file that the CCC uses to set clocks.

Edit: This seems like it should work.

Edit2: This should give you a good idea of what people were/are setting as 2D clocks.

Back