• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Screen Artifacts right from powerup

edliu512

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
102
I just built a new PC with BFG 8800GTS 512(G92) OC, the computer ran ok for a few days, until today.

I have no over clocking on any of the parts. Last night I left the computer on over night and in the morning it was frozen with a blank screen. When I tried to restart the computer I a little bit of artifacting right through powerup, but windows freezes at the log on screen with visible artifacts where rectangles of color became visibly different than normal. At this point, I tried and succeeded booting the computer into windows with video driver disabled by using the enable vga mode boot option. I saw no artifacts with the generic vga driver, and programs all seemed to ran fine. So I reinstalled the graphics card drivers and reseated the card in the PCI-E slot. After the reboot the artifacting was gone, and everything was normal again, and games and other software all ran fine. But after a bit of gaming, the PC crashed and I saw artifacts again, right from powering up. This time the screen is filled with vertical and horizontal rows of black dots all through out the screen, and some of the command prompt letters are pink colored instead of the normal white colors. I tried to boot with window's generic VGA driver but the computer crashes and self restarts at booting into windows, however I can boot into safe mode ok. I tried to let the video card cool down and reseating the card in the pci-e slot but I still see the same problem.

I am suspecting the video card is broken, anyone know if anything else could be causing the symptom I am seeing?
 
Sounds like video card. Do you have another computer you can try it in? I might also guess RAM.
 
Could be some parts of your graphics card heating up.
Did you try to reseat the GPU cooler?
 
Try resetting your CMOS in case something is set very wrong.

Failing that, uts either a power problem, video card overheating, too high video clocks or faulty graphics card.
Can you try another PSU that is rated to run your system?
What GPU temps do you get?
 
Ok, i exchanged my Video Card at frys today, and everything worked normal again. Then I used rivatuner to increase the fan speed, because apparently on the 8800GTS's the fans only run at 25% of their full duty cycle at all time, even under heavy GPU load. Now I have the fan running at 55% of full speed and auto adjusts with rivatuner as the temperature rises. So far the GPU has been idling at 46 deg C in windows and about 54-57 deg C under full load in games.
 
Back
Top