screen area question

Rustic

Limp Gawd
Excuse my ignorance but i am going from a 22'' 16x10 to 24'' 16x9. So i have about the same vertical area but my width will increase.

Does that mean the image of a game(BF3) will be stretched or will i actually see more of the battlezone?

Is the resolution staying the same? Regardless from a perspective point of view, you will be seeing less of the battlefield on the top and bottom.

It depends on the game and its ability to handle different fields of view (FoV) and whether or not it will letterbox 16:10.

In general, however, 16:9 seems to be the standard these days, for better or worse, so I would always count on it being supported in a new title.

BF3 appears to support setting FoV to 60-90 which would be able to handle both 16:10 and 16:9 nicely. It will also support 16:10 resolutions natively.

As such, you are covered with BF3 no matter which screen you choose. (You may have cutscenes letterboxed for 16:10, but this is not a huge issue.)

This is not true for games supporting Hor+ scaling. BF3 is one of those.

Is the resolution staying the same? Regardless from a perspective point of view, you will be seeing less of the battlefield on the top and bottom.

This is not true for games supporting Hor+ scaling. BF3 is one of those.

I stand corrected, in BF3 you will see more on the left and right. Should have assumed, being a fps, it would be Hor+.

going from 22" 16:10 to 24" 16:9 improvement will be in everything and everywhere, especially games as nowadays those are made for 16:9 in mind :)

what is difference? you have wider view = you see more battlezone. It's easier to spot enemy trying to sneak to you from side ;) though it's with games without custom fov as those where you can increase it manually don't get any benefit from 16:9 over 16:10 :)

Excuse my ignorance but i am going from a 22'' 16x10 to 24'' 16x9. So i have about the same vertical area but my width will increase.

Does that mean the image of a game(BF3) will be stretched or will i actually see more of the battlezone?

1680x1050 resolution is inferior to 1920x1080. So getting to higher resolution is an improvement (in general).
FOV in games depends on settings you choose in the game first of all.
Use your own monitor to get answers.
If you are able to get 16:9 option of the game on your 1680x1050 - you won't see more on 1920x1080.
If not - then you'll get more FOV on the new monitor.

Remember, your monitor has more answers than this forum.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Albovin: I see what you are saying but if i choose 16x9 on my 16x10, then the resolution will no longer be 1680x1050, correct? it will have to be a less detailed resolution but the area of view will be the same.(and smaller than the 24'')

It was just curious.

If your current system is able to display 16:9 games, the comparison will look like this:

15xvck9.jpg

thats what i was asking was if the image will be stretched or i f i will be a ble to see the little ducks on the far right better instead of just their rears.

On contition mentioned above, you'll have an identical (content and geometry, nothing stretched) but larger picture as you can see in this collage - same ducks, same rears, same heads, same legs, etc.
However the quality of the image will depend on the monitor.

Just to illustrate what the difference will be in a game that uses Hor+ :

16:10
24bsv7s.jpg

16:9
2505oo1.jpg

This is what BF3 is going to do, as you can see the vertical remains the same however due to the fov, more will be shown side to side.

Also like Albovin said, as long as the display is not going to stretch an image to fit (which some will do), you'll see exactly the same thing on a 16:10 monitor set to a 16:9 resolution, but with black bars.

Back