screeching video card?

Nick_Leo

[H]ard|Gawd
i just put a new dfi lanparty and 8800gt into my friends pc and he says that it seems like something is screeching. we were playing spore and we could hear it a little but i figured it was his old hard drive.

Then he got home and fired up crysis and he said that it was super loud. hes got the evga dual slot cooler 8800gt.

so what is causing this problem?anyone ever have it?

It's a faulty transitor. It won't cause any framerate problems but over a certain load and framerate you will hear it. I had it with my 8800gtx: replaced it and it was gone.

Is it a really high-pitched sound? Could be capacitors/something in the filter stages for power on the video card.

Alternatively could be something touching one of the fans - have you double-checked that there are no stray cables touching any of the fans (front, back, video card, CPU etc)?

If its a grinding kind of screeching noise (like two pieces of slate being rubbed together), then it's probably the HDD - get all your data off ASAP and/or try to test with the HDD unplugged.

Only other thing it could be is your have 2 cds/dvds stacked on top of each other in the optical drive...

its not really a grinding sound its just very high pitched like a really high beep that keeps going.

My 8800GTX screeches when its doing GPU folding....but its running on the edge of stable at 100% load too..:)

its not really a grinding sound its just very high pitched like a really high beep that keeps going.
Yea that's a bad capacitor. Your gaming won't be affected but the noise will piss you off. If you replace it and the noise is still there it might be the power supply bad cap.

Yea that's a bad capacitor. Your gaming won't be affected but the noise will piss you off. If you replace it and the noise is still there it might be the power supply bad cap.
well its not my pc its my friends. i just never heard of such a problem so i came here for help.

I've seen a few coolers (mostly the Zalman 900s) that have a bit of fan bearing whine to them when the fan speed kicks up. Other than that it's probably cap whine. Depending on the frequency I'd probably RMA it because I'm way to sensitive to those kind of noises and it would drive me insane.

Some people have noted a screech during the loading scenes for Crysis due to the super high framerates - it's a capacitor thing, and not uncommon. But if it is doing it all the time that could be pretty annoying. I'd definitely get it exchanged/

Back