Screeching noise in BF2 w/ X-RAM

Bop

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
3,426
I'll be playing BF2 and all the sudden I'll hear something like a quick digitized screech once in a while with an X-Fi with X-RAM.

I've used 3 X-Fi cards since they came out. The X-treme Music plays the game nicely aside from the prevalent crackling issue.

I got an X-Fi Fatal1ty after I got a new PC and thats when I noticed the screeching noise. I just dealt with it for awhile but then I got involved with Creative when they were analyzing the crackling issue. They took my PC and gave me the kick ass rig I'm using now (in sig).

The screeching noise is back with my Elite Pro, and I think it is an X-RAM issue. Two different PCs, both with X-RAM. Again, no screeching with the non X-RAM model.

Do any of you have this problem?
 
How did you get involved with creative if you dont mind me asking? Did you just ring them and say ive a got a crackling issue can you send me a new computer? Just curious thats all, and i should be getting my x-fi xtrememusic card soon - i hope it doesnt give me problems as it is uesd.
 
I don't have any issues with my X-Fi but when I first got an Audigy2 I used to occasionally get this screeching noise. It was either fixed by updated drivers or a motherboard bios update I had done. Who knows what cured it for sure though? I just know that since reading of all the people with issues with the X-Fi my next soundcard probably won't be from Creative.
 
AY786 said:
How did you get involved with creative if you dont mind me asking? Did you just ring them and say ive a got a crackling issue can you send me a new computer? Just curious thats all, and i should be getting my x-fi xtrememusic card soon - i hope it doesnt give me problems as it is uesd.

I was posting on their boards and I showed some technical ability so they e-mailed me to send some of my system info. After awhile they contacted me again asking me if I could send my system in so they can help fix the crackling issue. I sent my system in, and they wired me some money to buy a new PC.

Gatticus said:
I don't have any issues with my X-Fi but when I first got an Audigy2 I used to occasionally get this screeching noise. It was either fixed by updated drivers or a motherboard bios update I had done. Who knows what cured it for sure though? I just know that since reading of all the people with issues with the X-Fi my next soundcard probably won't be from Creative.

Which X-Fi are you using?
 
Gatticus said:
Extreme Music.

That doesn't have X-RAM on it, so the screeching problem shouldn't be happening with your card.

It seems to only happen on the Fatal1ty and Elite Pro.
 
My X-Fi doesn't screech but the Audigy2 I had did when I first got it. I just don't know what fixed it, drivers or bios update, one of the two. Try it on another motherboard if you can.
 
I get the screech. The previous official driver set gave me a worse screech; the new beta set gives me a few short beeps now & then and only in BF2.
 
Opie said:
I get the screech. The previous official driver set gave me a worse screech; the new beta set gives me a few short beeps now & then and only in BF2.


well that would amke sense as bf2 and i think it was quke 4 or fear are the only thigns that are capable of utalizing X-ram


to the OP: hot damn you got lucky that rig in your sig is badass, i wish someone would wire me money to go buy a new computer
 
Opie said:
I get the screech. The previous official driver set gave me a worse screech; the new beta set gives me a few short beeps now & then and only in BF2.

Good to hear I'm not the only one. Looks like Creative or DICE might have a problem on their hands. It only happens in BF2 with me as well, Quake 4 is fine.

Gatticus said:
My X-Fi doesn't screech but the Audigy2 I had did when I first got it. I just don't know what fixed it, drivers or bios update, one of the two. Try it on another motherboard if you can.

My previous system used an MSI K8N Diamond Plus, so I already tried a different board. It may be limited to the nF4 x16 though, or maybe RAID?? Hopefully someone without a RAID or nF4 setup can chime in.
 
I haven't heard mine screech.

Can you describe when it does this?
 
BBA said:
I haven't heard mine screech.

Can you describe when it does this?

Randomly during gameplay. What X-Fi do you have and are you running RAID or an nForce 4?
 
I have a fatality with nforce 4, not running raid and no screeching.
 
Back
Top