Scratching my head on this... "Access denied" with most services on 2003 server

NoID

Limp Gawd
Ok, I have been struggling with this for hours... Let’s see what you guys come up with...

Ok we have a 2003 domain with 3 DC's, one member server FileServer is having some issue with most of its system services. The following services will not start:

RPC
TCP/IP helper
DNS Client
and a hand ful of others

Wont start automatically. Attempts to start them manually result in Access Denied messages. I looked into the default comain policy (which applies to these member servers) and i looked that the "system Services" settings and all of the services have "permissions" ad "Not configured". We are not having this issue on any other member server, so it is localized only to this one server. I have tried a GPUPDATE /force and I see in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1058
Date: 7/26/2005
Time: 11:05:31 PM
User: DOMAIN\administrator
Computer: FileServer
Description:
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={EE6AFDEA-15D0-4B37-94DC-C5CB311F2ECE},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=DOMAIN,DC=com. The file must be present at the location <\\BBBARCH.com\SysVol\DOMAIN.com\Policies\{EE6AFDEA-15D0-4B37-94DC-C5CB311F2ECE}\gpt.ini>. (The network path was not found. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Ok, so that hints me to a DNS issue. I attempt to access the domain via Start -> Run -> \\DOMAIN.com\ and I get a "No network provider accepted the given network path". So I am confused. I cannot start the DNS client becuase it gives me the Access Denied message. Restarts don't seen to fix this. Any ideas? Any Questions?

Will if it a member erver. i would log into the local adminbistrator account and start trouble shooting the issues you are having with the services failing to start. Try rejoining it to the domain?

I think I will try that tomorrow after hours. Even logged in as the local admin I was unable to re-start the services. Some boggled GPO is blocking the Local admin from doing anything... Grrr...

Do you have enough licenses to provide access for all the machines? Have any machines been added after the problem server? Is NetBIOS enabled on the domain controller?

The network path was not found.
This sets off all kinds of alarms for me.

Check your DNS settings. Primary should be the "primary" DNS server for your internal domain.

Back