Scott Herkelman on NVIDIA GPP

Haha! good one.
I'm glad I got a 7970 that I now have in a secondary machine.
Still plays games pretty good at 1080p, can't say the same for the 680 and it's gimped arch. (I tend to keep stuff for a while so 3GB>2GB and 7970=$50 less was a pretty easy choice to make)

Years ago I was playing good ole' Skyrim with mods and wanted an upgrade. I upgraded from my trusty GTX260 to a GTX670 2GB and Skyrim was still kind of bad so I returned it and picked up a 7970. It was even slower than the 670. So I returned that again and purchased a GTX670 4GB and everything was perfect. That 670 is still plugging away in my son's system and runs almost perfectly at 1080p in most current games.

Eventually there were drivers that increased the performance across the board for the 7900 series but by then it was too late for me. This is the problem with "Finewine". Most people want better performance now when they need it; not a year or three down the road when a host of faster GPUs are available.

Do we really have any choice? We have one side that just operates and does something, the other we have actually does what we are looking for. It's pretty much just one choice. If you want the real experience, you'll buy an intel and NVidia. If you want something that just sucks power and works on lowest settings, you buy amd and ati, (which is the one damn same company ffs, yea no monopoly there), and try and feel you made a good choice even though you know it isn't.
I play everything at max settings with my 580s. You are still in the bulldozer era. Get with the times.

GTX 285 was and still faster than HD 4890, look it up and don't waste my time

I did. https://www.anandtech.com/show/2745

They're basically about the same but the 285 cost $150 more. I'd consider the 4890 to be a killer card.

Yeah and it was still faster, people waited for it

9 months later and $150 more, yeah it was faster. But for 6+ months, the 5870 was a killer card.

No they weren't, the GTX 580 trounced the HD 6970, hell the GTX 580 traded blows with the HD 7970 when it came out, till it had a driver update that boosted it's performance.

This one is my bad. I used Anand's Bench to double check my memory and I'm not sure what I was looking at. You're right on this one, the 580 is about 20% faster than the 6970 but again, at a $200 price premium.

Nope, AMD had to release the 7970GHz edition to compete with the CHEAPER and SMALLER GTX 680.

The 7970 released for $450 and was the mack daddy card for over 3 months. The GTX680 came out for $500 and was slightly faster. AMD released the GHz edition also for $500 which had a 100 MHz bump and was again the faster card albeit slightly. Maybe not quite a "killer" card since it cost the same as the 680 and performed virtually the same but still a damn good card.

And the 290x was definitely a killer card.

If all you're talking about is the fastest GPU on the market period than yeah, Nvidia always has a super expensive card that's faster than anything else like the GTX 295 that cost twice the price of a 4890 but was the baddest card on the market or the $1000 Titan nowadays. However if you take cost into effect, which 95% of gamers do, AMD has been great and competitive at every segment below $1000 for years and only started sucking in the last 2 generations.

But for the longest time, the Steam Hardware survey has shown what its actually like. The top 15-20 (didnt actually count) models/cards are all Nvidias. Nvidia has 82% of the market right now. (AMD 11%)

The news has already leaked that the new Navi chipsets will be same power as the 1080 that launched almost 2 years ago. And i bet, those two years wont make it a better 1080 in any metric.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

The Steam Survey is data but as it only surveys about 10% of the total addressable gaming market it really can not be considered a reasonable sample. The Steamsurvey is also a biased sample towards folks with dispaosable income and who play on-line games.

What is leaked anyway? An opinion that is quite likely incorrect...!

The question that I have is what does nVidia have to afraid of that they would debrand AMD from OEM gaming products?

All AMD really has to do is rebrand Radeon to say the "Multiverse of Gaming Radeon" GPU and that entire mouthfull would have to be included when ever Radeon is now used on OEM packaging and promotional literature.

I think "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" did it first to get out of a recording contract.

Back