Scored a Sceptre 20.1" for xmas! some ?'s

munkle

[H]F Junkie
i scored a sceptre for xmas and i do have to say that it is sweet, i think my mom got it from costco, the only ? i have is, that i have 2 stuck pixles one stuck green and one stuck red, i cant notice the green one at all but the red stands out on everything that i do, and i think there is some black light bleeding but only at the corners so i dont mind that much, but is it worth it to return it to costco what if i get a worse screen?

Yeah man, from what i've heard you can easily take it back. I would DEF take it back, dead pixels suck.

I got a fpd2185w for christmas, and if it had any dead pixels I would take it back to bestbuy.

k another question i got is in the manual it shows i can get a RGB hook up through a dvi cable shown HERE but i want the dvi for pc, can i get a cable like that for vga? i want to hook my 360 up to my monitor but i have had the vga cable before and it looks like ass through the vga cable.

another question i have is how do you know how bad your back light is bleeding, cause when i play WoW the game looks as if there is a light fog over everything.

Yea..you can easily take it back. When I took mine back I just said, "Tearing in games." and that was all.
BTW..how does yours perform in games? I am thinking of buying it back. I am missing the Widescreen and that was a good price...

yeah its nice for everything but gaming, i get tearing in wow (textures dont line up), i dont want to hurt my moms feelings (a lcd is what i wanted, but this one isnt great for gaming, but she tried) so when i take it back ill tell her they were out of the screens and couldnt exchange it, its really nice for internet browseing but the textures in wow were really annoying.

What are you thinking of getting instead?

And it is so weird. The LCD seems to have great specs like "8ms" response time. WHY couldn't they just fix this problem. Then it would be a great LCD, better than that 2005 Dell because it also supports HD..right?

i might get the dell 20" WS instead because its 469.99 or something like that and i bet i can find some coupons to bring that down or i might get that 19" Viewsonic one, ill see what else they have at costco, yeah the monitor doesnt ghost at all its fine for movies and general use but it tears alot in gaming.

and yes it supports hd.

munkle said:
another question i have is how do you know how bad your back light is bleeding, cause when i play WoW the game looks as if there is a light fog over everything.

LCDE's require CAREFUL and DETAILED attention and setup of the contrast and brightness settings, or you will suffer the issue you are describing...just for grins, on my Gateway, I am running 50% brightness and 51% contrast settings.....

munkle said:
k another question i got is in the manual it shows i can get a RGB hook up through a dvi cable shown HERE but i want the dvi for pc, can i get a cable like that for vga? i want to hook my 360 up to my monitor but i have had the vga cable before and it looks like ass through the vga cable.

The HDTV tuner is only in the DVI side for some reason... I tryed hooking up my component to VGA cable into my monitor and it didnt work. Question for you though... have you noticed in games or movies stuttering coming from the monitor, seems like every 5-10 secconds it stutters for a seccond (sometimes every 2-3 secconds it stutters, it seems to be random) I am trying to figure out if its something wrong with all these monitors or just some of them. I heard Sceptre knows about it and were fixing it but thats all i heard, maybe the newer ones dont stutter anymore? I just dont understand how a 8ms GTG panel could stutter this bad.

*edit*
Nevermind, didnt notice your post above about the tearing. I am probably going to order a 2005FPW and then return this to costco after the 2005FPW gets here. Also, the HDTV on it looks pretty good but still its not native so its not as clear as it could be. This is a really good panel but it seems to not be too good for gaming.

yeah its good, it was nice surfing the web, but as soon as i would play wow my eyes would hurt cause of all the tearing, if you look on new egg, all the reviews say the same thing good monitor but bad for gaming, it stutters, im at a loss as to try now, as i dont like the idea of ordering an lcd from dell and then haveing to wait 2 weeks if something is wrong with it, so ill look around costco to see what else they have.

Well I think each coscto has different stock but they had a the gateway or HP one there, the 21in widescreen LCD. Its like 600 dollars but I didnt see any that werent bundled. I guess I gotta make some decisions, but I dont want to spend 600 on a monitor and have the dell one go on sale for 350 like it does sometimes.

The 2005FPW Dell doesn't support High Def. right? Should I just wait a bit and buy that Gateway that does support High Def. OR go for the Dell 2005FPW or wait until the 2007FPW or 2107FPW come out.
:confused: :(

the dell does support HD, it doesnt support HDCP that the gateway does, hdcp is for windows vista.

munkle said:
the dell does support HD, it doesnt support HDCP that the gateway does, hdcp is for windows vista.
i thought it wasn't 1080p HD ready.. I know it doesn't support HDCP but there is no guarantee that HDCP will ever be used. And if it will..it won't be used for a while since HD-DVD and Blu-Ray haven't even come out and when they initially do..they will be way too expensive..

I just can't imagine that Hollywood would force people who want to watch their movies legally to have to upgrade their monitors and spend $$hundreds

munkle said:

Wrong, the Dell does NOT support 1080p

Avengeance said:
Does the gateway panel support 1080i/p?

Yep....

• Analog (VGA): 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
• Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
• Composite video
• S-Video
• Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i)
• AC power input
• USB 2.0 B-type (PC input)
• USB 2.0 A-type (PC input)

http://www.gateway.com/programs/lcd/specs.shtml?cmpid=index*HDLCD21W_overview*tab

munkle said:
hd includes 720p which it does support thanks for trying though

I never said that I don't think...what I said was, the Dell does not do HD 1080 and that is a FACT. Thanks for talking out of your ass :p

I just went to costco, they have the gateway monitor on display but it seems like it only comes in a bundle with a media computer. I am going to look around but compusa has them on sale but only on their site i believe, they are 529.99

Yea, thats what i meant... I found it at bestbuy but its 599.99 so im not sure if I want to do that or go to the dell store and get the 2005FPW

Yea..i am in the same situation. The Gateway is more "future proof" and supports High-Def if I ever want to watch it. The Dell is probably like 150-200 cheaper with discounts.

munkle said:
this is the quote where you said i was wrong, what is wrong about it? nothing, so thanks for trying again.

you said i was wrong and that the dell does not support 1080p well the dell supports 720p which is hd, no talking out the ass was included.

munkle said:
this is the quote where you said i was wrong, what is wrong about it? nothing, so thanks for trying again.

you said i was wrong and that the dell does not support 1080p well the dell supports 720p which is hd, no talking out the ass was included.
yea....but it doesn't support 1080p high definition :(

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
yea....but it doesn't support 1080p high definition :(

That's right...:D

munkle...the dell does not support 1080, the current "standard" for "real" HD...720 is old hat....you are still talking out of your err...nether regions :p

TheRapture said:
That's right...:D

munkle...the dell does not support 1080, the current "standard" for "real" HD...720 is old hat....you are still talking out of your err...nether regions :p
never said that it did support 1080, there is no standard on hd, hd could be considered anything 720p and up, as for 720p being old considering that europe doesnt even have hd tvs (realistically priced), its not that old, most hd tvs are 1080i but some prefer 720p for gaming because its better for fast motion, 1080p only comes in on computer monitors (not sure about the huge plasmas though).

thanks for trying again though.

munkle said:
never said that it did support 1080, there is no standard on hd, hd could be considered anything 720p and up, as for 720p being old considering that europe doesnt even have hd tvs (realistically priced), its not that old, most hd tvs are 1080i but some prefer 720p for gaming because its better for fast motion, 1080p only comes in on computer monitors (not sure about the huge plasmas though).

thanks for trying again though.

welcome. The fact is, the Dell does NOT do 1080, and that is the latest and greatest, as well as HDCP compliance...shoe leather tastes good doesn't it?

Ok, fighting aside. I DO love how i see scores of TVs and monitors saying they're HDTV compatible or can 'do' 1080 video. They can't. They simply don't have the resolution. But they are 'compatible' and can scale it down. Most people are too oblivious to even notice and Mr. BestBuyoooshinyman is getting a tv he thinks is awesome but is getting screwed in the long run.

TheRapture said:
welcome. The fact is, the Dell does NOT do 1080, and that is the latest and greatest, as well as HDCP compliance...shoe leather tastes good doesn't it?
i dont eat shoe leather so if you like it thats fine with me, i already agreed that the dell doesnt do 1080p nor does it have HDCP, so the point of this post was what?

the fact is the dell does do HD maybe not your "latest and greatest" hd but it does do hd.

munkle said:
i dont eat shoe leather so if you like it thats fine with me, i already agreed that the dell doesnt do 1080p nor does it have HDCP, so the point of this post was what?

the fact is the dell does do HD maybe not your "latest and greatest" hd but it does do hd.

Agreed. Problem solved, done, finito, etc.
:p

Back