Scorching Hot if it's true; WD Caviar 80G $25

cgrant26

2[H]4U
From Ben's Bargains:

"BestBuy.com has the Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 80.0GB Internal Hard Drive with 8MB Cache for $85 - $30 rebate [Exp 10/23] - $30 rebate [Exp 10/23] $25 after rebate. Free in-store pickup."

*EDIT* I just called Comp USSR and they said they will price match it including rebates. WooHoo. Out the door for $25. :)

That would make it $25, not free. The "shipping" is free if you pick it up in-store.

Definitely a bargain though. :)

That's like the funniest thing that I've heard in my life! Thanks for making me feel better.

;) ;) ;)

Yea. I saw this earlier, actually in store its $30 after $60 in rebates, if you order off the website and pickup it $25 after rebates.

I just saw it posted on another site. Didn't read into it too much. But yeah, it's still a good deal.

*EDIT* I just called Comp USSR and they said they will price match it including rebates. WooHoo. Out the door for $25. :)

hmm...what did you say to them when you called. I"m going to try to get two of them.

How good are these hard drives considering they only come with a 1 year warranty? I just bought a Seagate Barracuda 160GB which i am happy with and it comes with a 5 year warranty. Any info would be great, thanks!

What did you say to get compusa to pricematch? I called and was told they dont pricematch rebates.

kenpomasta said:
What did you say to get compusa to pricematch? I called and was told they dont pricematch rebates.

Yes if you could tell us that would be great!
I would not mind bulking up on 4, and raid them together!
(would probably end up having to mod a box to contain them!)

im dying to get in on this one... tell us exactly what to say/do!!!! i want two of these fuckers bad!

I just told them BB had them for 25 after rebates. They said sure. Maybe I just got a cool manager. I didn't get time to get them yesterday so I'll see tomorrow if they'll honor it.

kenpomasta said:

That's BS. If I were you I would call back, ask again, and if they say they don't price match rebates then ask to talk to the GM. :p

that is an 8mb se drive. the warranty on it is actually 3 years.
since it is backordered now for 5-7 days, i wonder if you can still get the rebates on it since they expire on the 23rd?

So exactly how do I get the drive for $25? It is in stock at both my local compusa and my local best buy. Do I just go to Compusa and say Bestbuy has the drive for $25 after rebates and they give me the drive for $25? That seems too easy.

I am in desperate need of a new harddrive, and I want to see if I can get this one. Instructions would be greatly appereciated.

just print out the webpage or something. when they ask you for proof, show them the page.

Is there anywhere on the compusa site where they state their pricematch policy? I' never knew that they honored mail-in rebates too.

I'm guessing the un-official company policy is to not pricematch rebates. But it seems Comp USA corp has left it's GMs some room for discretion. EIther way, if they don't want to do it, try being (politely of course) as big a PITA about it as you can. Unless they show you something official that says they don't PM rebates, you stand a good chance of getting it. Like the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Why in the world would CompUSA ever price match rebates?!
The retailer gets paid the full price of the drive. When you send in the rebate, generally the manufacturer is the one who sends you the check, not the retailer. So what's the logical reasoning for price matching prices after rebates? Makes no sense at all.

Just got back from CompUSA. They do price match rebates, the thing is though they give you the rebate amount in a gift card. So either way CompUSA gets your money... Still its a good deal, it came to about $28 with tax, plus the $60 gift card. Now I can some more computer stuff I guess, for free.

Guess it's better than a rebate in some cases. As they get "lost" in the mail. This way at least you get the rebate money immediately but have to spend it there.

erm, so compuseless (compusa) gives the rebate back on a gift card? So, they you have to pay the amount before rebates and then get the drive and a $60 gift card? ($25+$60+tax?)

just got back from compusa...

you will pay the $90 or so up front, instead of the mail-in rebate they will give that back to you in the form of a gift card.

so if you have other stuff to get there, its a good deal

v3rt1g0 said:
Why in the world would CompUSA ever price match rebates?!

To screw BB out of a customer who may very well be planning on buying more than a HDD. Rebates exist for the sole purpose of getting customers in the store. "Come for the deal, stay for the crap" Not only is Comp USA getting $90 from a BB customer, that customer is now looking at their merchendise rather than BB's merchandise.

So how are you guys doing this, do you just go to compusa, pick up the drive, take it to the register and show them the bestbuy ad?

basically, but just be prepaired to spend that $90.. unless you can sell that gift cert to somebody.

klharmon said:
linky no worky!!

Looks like this is dead now, can't find the drive anywhere on their site. I did a search for western digital and it was the first one listed, I clicked on the lnk and got the "We're sorry, we could not find the page you are looking for" Looks like someone saw that page getting hammered and took it down.

Oh well, I'll check the store and see what I can get.

Back