Scorching Hot! 74GB WD Raptor - $89 + tax @ BB -YMMV (good chance though)

Grabbed a Raptor X yesterday w/ the coupon. They still had one Raptor X and two 74's on the shelf(Macedonia, OH).

no 74GB at Robinson Twp near Pittsburgh, PA. At least not according to the GF that went there today.

Theres a single 74gb Raptor and a Raptor X left at the Fayetteville NC store. There were two X's, but one of them has my name on it.

If you swing by, come to the Geek Squad and ask for me :)

Markdowns taken from regular prices with your Reward Zone® program membership. Excludes Bose®, KEF®, JBL and Shure audio products; TVs 37" & larger; DIRECTV® service; digital SLR cameras; Apple® products; satellite radio service; Cinema Systems; Sony XBR®; HP ink and paper; high-definition camcorders; Zune devices; digital music download cards and services; Roland, Boss & Edirol musical instruments; special order, clearance, demo and open-box items; Gift Cards; taxes; Magnolia Home Theater products: Bose®; SpeakerCraft®, Sonos, Vienna Acoustics, Tivoli Audio, MartinLogan, BDI furniture; installation services, Magnolia Guaranteed Performance Agreement and special order merchandise. Selection varies by store. Limit 1 offer per coupon, per household. Not good in combination with any other coupons or offers. Valid only at Best Buy stores in the U.S.A. Valid on in-stock items only. No rainchecks. No dealers. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. No copies. No cash back. Cash value is 1/100th of 1 cent. Coupon valid through 2/19/07.

Doesn't exclude it eithor :D
unless "clearance" is what they call the sale

Ah...I prefer my high a bit more scenic. ;)

Found some @ a couple stores w/ stock...1 of each (74&150). 30 miles, hella traffic...:confused:

yo guys, I have a question. I have been wondering why this raptor kind of drive of small size drive priced so high ? what's make it so expensive from other drives ? thanks

I just picked one up with the 12% off coupon. Came to $89.75 before tax. Pretty sweet in my opinion. :D

i would say it is more or less 2 times faster than the fastest 7200RPM 16mb cache drive, but dont quote me on that ;)

Well, sorry had to quote ya :p

These Raptors=10,000 rpm for fast read/write times
Barracudas=7,200 rpm

So doing the math, it's actually 28% faster (not factoring the cache) :p

Well, sorry had to quote ya :p

These Raptors=10,000 rpm for fast read/write times
Barracudas=7,200 rpm

So doing the math, it's actually 28% faster (not factoring the cache) :p
lol, i dont think the math should be based on the rpm's alone :p

if you look at the seek times and other stuff like that, its more or less 2 times quicker :)

also i would personally argue that in real world usage the potential performance difference could be staggering.

for example: if the raptor copies 10 files in 2 seconds that would be, 20 seconds for 100 files. but if the seagate copies 10 files in 3 seconds, that would be 30 seconds! so while you might save 1 second with 10 files, you will save 10 seconds with 100! (this is not a real test or anything just logic)

:D

it definately is NOT just RPM that counts.

Raptors have ~4ms seek time. Most 7200 RPM drives have an 8.5ms seek time.

Seek time is basically the amount of time the read arm takes to move to the location it needs to be to read the data from the spinning platter. So the rotation allows for the faster continuous data reading, but the individual file spot copying stuff is where the raptor will REALLY shine. 2x's faster is pretty accurate in that light.

omg i just went to BB in Jefferson City , MO and i fckn hate it .... The stupid girl looked me in a suspicious way and asked me where did i get it since i didnt have that rewards thing membership. So i told her i found it online and membership is free anyway and i'll become a member right now. She still wanted to know how did i get that coupon if im not a member... so another girl came and she said its not a problem ... then she started reading the coupn and said its only for an external hard disk ... omfg i was so pissed. I said yea but i think u can also use it for internals etc etc. No good. I said FINE ill just pay the full damn amount. And when i gave her the money she checked it with the marker lol to see if it was real or fake lol.

Also the hard disk was $120.. not 101. I hate this city and i hate this BB.

One question .. it says it is SATA 1 , are there any SATA2 raptors??

omg i just went to BB in Jefferson City , MO and i fckn hate it .... The stupid girl looked me in a suspicious way and asked me where did i get it since i didnt have that rewards thing membership. So i told her i found it online and membership is free anyway and i'll become a member right now. She still wanted to know how did i get that coupon if im not a member... so another girl came and she said its not a problem ... then she started reading the coupn and said its only for an external hard disk ... omfg i was so pissed. I said yea but i think u can also use it for internals etc etc. No good. I said FINE ill just pay the full damn amount. And when i gave her the money she checked it with the marker lol to see if it was real or fake lol.

Also the hard disk was $120.. not 101. I hate this city and i hate this BB.

One question .. it says it is SATA 1 , are there any SATA2 raptors??

It was $101 when I saw one here. There is no SATA2 raptors. Not even SATAII HDs can fully utilize 3.0gb/sec.

When did you check it ? It was the last one sitting there and both this and the 150 GB raptor were regular price =/

BB's site lists the Raptor X in stock all over Phoenix, but it's back up in price. Nothing online about the 74 still...I wonder if that's getting axed. :(

I had BB print me out a sheet w/ the 74GB Raptor's current price of $119.99 and got CompUSA to PM a couple. It's not the crazy deal of yore, but it's better than $140 from Fry's/Egg.

Any recommendations on stripe size? 64?

Back