Scissor key keyboards?

aNtHrAx323

2[H]4U
I did a search and just wanted to see if I could get a collaborative opinion going... I'm obsessed with scissor keyboards (i.e. "laptop"-feel keyboards), and seem to hear the Benq brand come up a lot. I'm eying this one in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823121113

I work at Rackspace, and in 5 months have already worn out my MS Natural Keyboard that they issued (the keys are beginning to feel squishy and seem to double-hit every once in a while). Does anyone have anything to say about this keyboard, or any other recommendations? I don't want any lights, frills, or BS, and hotkeys don't mean a damned thing to me seeing as Windows was purged from my box the day I got there, so my goal is to simply find a good, reliable keyboard with top-notch tactile feedback, as the vast, vast majority of my job involves typing (God bless SSH). Thanks in advance!

My plain, black Dell has lasted 3+ years now and the key impact still isn't squishy and slow. None of the key labels have been rubbed off either. Great build quality.

I've got a keyboard that's 5 or 6 years old. I haven't replaced it because it simply feels great to type on still. Though it isn't at all like a laptop keyboard, it is fantastic. It's made by Microsoft, and I'm sure it's the only one they made in that time proximity.

On second thought, maybe it is time to relplace this old fella.

I'm in the same boat as you, ever since I used my dad's laptop this summer I really want the feel of the keyboard, plus it's quieter.
I saw a pretty good looking laptop feel keyboard at radioshack(canada, now called source by circut city) made by centrios, it was very minimal(which is good for a small desk owner like me) no extra program keys that I won't use. It was $30CAD, but I'm completely broke, once I get a job I'm gonna head back and get it to replace this 2 year old no name multimedia keyboard, the only thing I will miss is the volume wheel on this one(mostly the press down the wheel to mute button).

Wow, that's the first time I've heard anyone say they like laptop keyboards. They just don't feel right to me (plus I've never seen a split design on a laptop ;))

Even though I'm something of a silent (or at least quiet with powerful components) computer guy, I feel odd when a keyboard makes no noise. That's probably part of it, too.

Laugh all you want, but I've been using this Keytronic keyboard for about five years now. The feel is great, it doesn't have a ton of weird buttons on it I'll never use, it's quiet, and the feel is still solid. $8.75...?? It's a winner in my book.....

Regards - B.B.S.

If you're willing to wait, Razer is coming out with a keyboard sometime. They've said it will have laptop-style keys, but the extra bells+whistles may be a turnoff for you. There's no street date or MSRP for it yet either.

Thanks for all the input.

yhamez said:
Wow, that's the first time I've heard anyone say they like laptop keyboards. They just don't feel right to me (plus I've never seen a split design on a laptop ;))

Even though I'm something of a silent (or at least quiet with powerful components) computer guy, I feel odd when a keyboard makes no noise. That's probably part of it, too.
I love the keys on laptop keyboards (I type fastest on them since my fingers effectively "bounce" from key to key with minimal pressure... almost like they're reactive keys), however, laptop keyboard layouts are far, far too cramped for me to type on for extended periods of time.

Now, major bonus points to whoever can recommend a split ("natural" style) scissor keyboard. As much as I used to hate them, I dig the fact that my wrists don't get sore or actually pop (I kid you not) every 10 seconds or so when I'm rippin along, not to mention they taught me how to type well by forcing me to keep my hands on the appropriate keys. However, I know it's a long shot from hell, so I'll take what I can get.

BlindedByScience said:
Laugh all you want, but I've been using this Keytronic keyboard for about five years now. The feel is great, it doesn't have a ton of weird buttons on it I'll never use, it's quiet, and the feel is still solid. $8.75...?? It's a winner in my book.....
You're a big spender, aintcha? :D

Actually, I'm using a Compaq card reader keyboard from AmEx I got for free out of HotDeals. It has a nice feel. mota confiscated it for a time because it's not all curved and fit the fancy 3M reticulating keyboard tray he installed on the 6' conference room table he uses for a desk.

I hated the "clanky" feel of the Logitech Access keyboard he swapped for it. One day at Target I saw they had these GE keyboards on sale for $4, the keys felt decent so I bought one. Then he wanted to try it and ended up confiscating it because it's black so I got the Compaq back. :p

It's all about priorities and preferences, we both have ~$100 Kensington trackballs and use cheapie keyboards.

Here's a funny... he had an IBM keyboard and it stopped working. He decided to destroy it, literally ripped it apart and threw it in the trash before we made an emergency run to Staples and bought the Logitech. Get home, plug it in, no go. Turned out the extension cable he was using had come unplugged. He destroyed a perfectly good keyboard for nothing. :D

Ironically, I remember when buying an aftermarket Apple keyboard cost ~$100. :(

Back