Scientists Hack Kinect to Study Glaciers and Asteroids

HardOCP News

[H] News
Scanning caves, glaciers and asteroids with a Kinect? Is there anything this thing can't do?

“I’ve always enjoyed repurposing cheap devices, doing things that you’re not supposed to do with them,” said Mankoff, a NASA-funded Ph.D. student at the University of California, Santa Cruz, studying ice and ocean interactions. “You know, the hacker ideals.”

OMG,
I'm sure this guy violated tons of things on the T&C agreement that is hidden somewhere that a normal person would never see.

They have his name and where he works. Microsoft will be after him for sure. We'll have to keep and eye out and post his mug shot.

In other words kinect still sucks balls for playing games so far and rocks at doing everything it was not intended to do..

Kinda like the ps3 Cell CPU sucking balls at game but pwns in floating point calculations for proten folding and crap like that.

When are peopel going to use this thing to make real good games again?

OMG,
I'm sure this guy violated tons of things on the T&C agreement that is hidden somewhere that a normal person would never see.

They have his name and where he works. Microsoft will be after him for sure. We'll have to keep and eye out and post his mug shot.

With the way congress is working atm im sure they'll come up with laws making this a felony...

OMG,

... where has MS sued anyone for their hacking of the kinect?

... where has MS sued anyone for their hacking of the kinect?

Yup, Microsoft has been VERY open to the possibilities that are being achieved with using the Kinect the way it wasn't initially intended to be used. Microsoft stumbled onto a gold mine with this Kinect feature, and I sure bet that Apple is sad that they turned this company down when they were approached with this technology.

Things the Kinect Can't do:
Make games that use it fun(Unless in an altered state of mind)

This the Kinect can do:
Everything it was not intended to do

thats my 2 pence on it

maybe one of you dudes should stick a kinect type of scanner to a radio controlled airplane along with a camera and do some 3d levels...

I'm not sure why it's even called "hacking" the Kinect... More like install this software to use it with Windows... I guess since you're using it for purposes that it wasn't intended for is a hack? On that note I'm not sure that it's even intended for just games anymore either...

Yup, Microsoft has been VERY open to the possibilities that are being achieved with using the Kinect the way it wasn't initially intended to be used. Microsoft stumbled onto a gold mine with this Kinect feature, and I sure bet that Apple is sad that they turned this company down when they were approached with this technology.
But most likely Apple would've locked it down & sued anyone who hacked it, making it far less popular than it is now.

Back