Scientists Can Sequence DNA With A Smartphone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Anything that helps in the fight against cancer is a welcome development, and now we have a potential solution for making screenings cheaper and more accessible. Scientists have created a lightweight optical attachment that works with a smartphone camera to detect cancer cells and perform other diagnostics. As it can be mass produced for $500, this contraption would be particularly attractive for underdeveloped countries. Thanks to scojer for this story.

"A typical microscope with multiple imaging modes would cost around $10,000," lead researcher Aydogan Ozcan, UCLA professor of electrical engineering and bioengineering, said in a statement. "Whereas higher-end versions, such as the one we used to validate our mobile-phone microscope, would go for $50,000 or more." The research team's cheap, 3D-printed alternative plugs into a smartphone to record multi-mode images at the same quality as a traditional light microscope. It then feeds data to an algorithm for automatic analysis. According to UCLA, the gadget can even detect small amounts of cancer cells hidden among a large group of normal ones.

Cost $500 to produce?

Sounds like we can sell it for $500k each! Surely the form factor justifies the increase over current methods.</Health Product Supplier>

Cost $500 to produce?

Sounds like we can sell it for $500k each! Surely the form factor justifies the increase over current methods.</Health Product Supplier>

Even that would be cheaper than what they are replacing!

article said:
"A typical microscope with multiple imaging modes would cost around $10,000," lead researcher Aydogan Ozcan, UCLA professor of electrical engineering and bioengineering, said in a statement. "Whereas higher-end versions, such as the one we used to validate our mobile-phone microscope, would go for $50,000 or more."

I was going to buy one to keep the dream of using my Zune alive since my HD was being weird and I wanted bluetooth.
Then they killed my grandfathered plan so I said screw you I'm going to get a better catalog with Google for the same price. If they hadn't I'd still be a customer and might have bought a phone. The Android app sucks balls.

I was going to buy one to keep the dream of using my Zune alive since my HD was being weird and I wanted bluetooth.
Then they killed my grandfathered plan so I said screw you I'm going to get a better catalog with Google for the same price. If they hadn't I'd still be a customer and might have bought a phone. The Android app sucks balls.

The Zune was awesome. Why they didn't keep that one, I have no idea.

>As it can be mass produced for $500, this contraption would be particularly attractive for underdeveloped countries

i'd like to see it used here too. medicine/medical procedures are simply out of control cost wise.

i had to spend chrismas eve in the ER due to a cat bite.. that was $8000 WTF??

1 IV bag.. $2000 alone
for them to spend 5..yes 5 whole minutes.. to squeeze my hand for puss.. $650

seriously??

>As it can be mass produced for $500, this contraption would be particularly attractive for underdeveloped countries

i'd like to see it used here too. medicine/medical procedures are simply out of control cost wise.

i had to spend chrismas eve in the ER due to a cat bite.. that was $8000 WTF??

1 IV bag.. $2000 alone
for them to spend 5..yes 5 whole minutes.. to squeeze my hand for puss.. $650

seriously??

It's a complete racket and it's only going to get worse until somebody with a pair gets in there and starts smashing skulls.

Back