School Uses Walking Dead To Teach Ethics

Not as unusual as you would think ... movies are often used in management classes or other philosophy classes (Hoosiers is typically used in Situational Leadership training) ... iTunes University had a class where they were using World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings Online to discuss storytelling and narrative (was called Worlds of Wordcraft) ... Good teachers are always looking for new ways to make their classes more accessible to young minds and gaming/movies/music are definitely good for that :D

I took a class on The Lord of the Rings (books) and another on Intro to Film (where we watched and discussed movies) when I was in college in the 80's ... now the games have often become so complex and pervasive that they lend themselves to classes too :cool:

I remember watching Blazing Saddles in a class entitled Diverse Perspectives in high school... We watched a lot of good films and then were required to discuss them after. It was one of the few classes I didn't skip!

I remember watching the 1968 film "Romeo and Juliet" in literature class during high school, which resulted in my locking my bedroom door as soon as I got home so I could engage in some furious masturbation. Olivia Hussey, you rocked my 14 year-old world.

Anyhoo, Walking Dead and stuff.

Dafuq. This thread has already gone places after that last post :p

I remember watching Blazing Saddles in a class entitled Diverse Perspectives in high school... We watched a lot of good films and then were required to discuss them after. It was one of the few classes I didn't skip!

It's amazing how if a teacher takes the time to think outside the box, students will want to attend and learn. To outsiders, that's a lazy teacher putting on a movie so he can read Sports Illustrated. But the fact he used it to make a connection to the material that resonated is worlds above the standard curriculum.

I took accounting in college. It was interesting as they spend 98% of the course teaching how to manually do journals and ledgers .. Yet no time on software. Go to a real job and it's likely flipped. Another high level athletic training course had us do everything by hand even though the professor admitted upfront that all of the long equations were replaced by software 20 years ago. Wtf ... As one of the last courses before graduation, wouldn't it stand to reason we should spend the majority of the time on what the career field will be using?

/random observation on our education system

I remember watching the 1968 film "Romeo and Juliet" in literature class during high school, which resulted in my locking my bedroom door as soon as I got home so I could engage in some furious masturbation. Olivia Hussey, you rocked my 14 year-old world.

Anyhoo, Walking Dead and stuff.

What .. The .. Fudgesicle

Fiction teaching ethics, that's not a bad idea, Keith Alexander could certainly use a lesson from Captain Picard.

Hipster teacher using a shitty show? Not surprised.
Zombie media is so popular I could shit on a plate, call it zombie surprise and people would eat it up.

Excellent in print, fucking garbage on screen. IMHO, it's on the same retard level as that duck dynasty vomit.

Back