• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sceptre 37" vs Dell 30"?

truffle00

2[H]4U
Joined
May 16, 2001
Messages
4,088
Sceptre:
-7 extra inches
-Tuner
-Lower response time
-Probably better color


Dell:
-Much higher resolution
-Slightly more manageable for my desktop size


I'm looking for a be all, end all monitor. The Sceptre is appealing because it would probably be betetr for gaming, but the dell would be much more accomodating for a desktop. Both have their resolution issues: the Sceptre might have issues with 1:1 mapping, and the Dell will only run 2 resolutions well (which is fine with me, because it would be nice to game at 1280x800).

Which do I get?

There's the sale on the Dell, and the Sceptre is on sale as well. Both expire soon. Opinions?
 
Scepter is made from the leftover materials of Acer, so I expect the quality to be no better.
 
Please people. Has anyone actually experienced the 37" model? I don't think it's the same as their crap 15" units...it's pretty much the sam monitor as the Westinghouse that everyone is raving about. I'm trying to make a value judgement here on which might be of most benefit to me.
 
truffle00 said:
Please people. Has anyone actually experienced the 37" model? I don't think it's the same as their crap 15" units...it's pretty much the sam monitor as the Westinghouse that everyone is raving about. I'm trying to make a value judgement here on which might be of most benefit to me.

It's not the same as the westinghouse.

Black bezel (typically more stylish), faster response time, integrated tuners (huge), has HDMI AND DVI.

It also costs less.

Wonder why?

The way companies work is that good companies who consistently make good products occasionally come out with a bad one. They learn from their mistakes and move on.

Companies who consistently make bad products RARELY come out with a good one.

What makes you think that this Sceptre is so different from their other pieces of crap?

I say go with the Dell simply based on the poor quality of Scepter products (generally) and reports of poor customer service.
 
truffle00 said:
Please people. Has anyone actually experienced the 37" model? I don't think it's the same as their crap 15" units...it's pretty much the sam monitor as the Westinghouse that everyone is raving about. I'm trying to make a value judgement here on which might be of most benefit to me.

There is a massive amount of info for the 37" Sceptre on the avsforum. I find it strange how much attention the Westinghouse gets since from what I've been reading the picture quality on the Sceptre is much better. I'm personally waiting for Sharp to release their new 37" 1080p set in April.
 
kaldaim said:
It's not the same as the westinghouse.

Black bezel (typically more stylish), faster response time, integrated tuners (huge), has HDMI AND DVI.

It also costs less.

Wonder why?

The way companies work is that good companies who consistently make good products occasionally come out with a bad one. They learn from their mistakes and move on.

Companies who consistently make bad products RARELY come out with a good one.

What makes you think that this Sceptre is so different from their other pieces of crap?

I say go with the Dell simply based on the poor quality of Scepter products (generally) and reports of poor customer service.


I understand the differences between the Westinghouse and Sceptre, and specficially was looking at the Sceptre because of the tuners (lower response time is nice too). The point in comparing with the Westinghouse was just that there is a 37" monitor that is raved over, so why not another?

And actually, the price on the Sceptre is not lower. Froogle tells me $1599 - 1799 for the Sceptre (with the exception of ONE store offering a mail in rebate) vs. $1550 - 1799 for the Westinghouse. The Sceptre does give you more (tuners), but is that really reason to say that it's cheaper?

People seem to have latched onto the Westinghouse because the concept of a 37" monitor was new and it was something they could trust by word of mouth, even though they had never heard of Westinghouse before. Sceptre got in the game late, whether by actual release date or just realization by the public. I'm trying to find a comparison, that isn't based just on the fact that "Sceptre = stooopid". Anyone got anything?

P.S. I don't like silver screens as much, and the undetachable speakers especially on the bottom of the monitor (to give it more height) is unfavorable.
 
If I was in the same situation I would go with the Dell, based on my experience with their 24" model I have enough confidence that theiir 30" model is just as good. It won't take long for the video card industry to get more affordable card out there that will make gaming on the 30" a breeze at the native rez.
 
Dell has used Acer panels in the past. The 2000FP comes to mind, and it was a good display for it's time.
 
cburwell said:
It won't take long for the video card industry to get more affordable card out there that will make gaming on the 30" a breeze at the native rez.

probably not unless you are talking about older games

The current top of the line cards won't make gaming on it a breeze so it will at least till the next generation top end cards to do it. They will probably cost the same or more as current cards. It will be the refresh for the next gen or even the generation after that for 2560x1600 gaming to "be a breeze" at prices below todays top cards
 
On the Dell, I'd only consider 1280x800 w/ 4-6X AA, if that makes a difference. Would be easier to drive than the 1920x1080, which still might not be doable on the 37" (I'm a frame rate whore)
 
kaldaim said:
It's not the same as the westinghouse.

Black bezel (typically more stylish), faster response time, integrated tuners (huge), has HDMI AND DVI.

It also costs less.

Wonder why?

The way companies work is that good companies who consistently make good products occasionally come out with a bad one. They learn from their mistakes and move on.

Companies who consistently make bad products RARELY come out with a good one.

What makes you think that this Sceptre is so different from their other pieces of crap?

I say go with the Dell simply based on the poor quality of Scepter products (generally) and reports of poor customer service.

Remember that once Acer, LG, Lite-on, Aopen, Samsung and even Westinghouse were considered "bad companies".
 
My recommendation would be the Dell but no one can decide for you. These displays are like apples and oranges. Think about what you need.
 
Stoly said:
Remember that once Acer, LG, Lite-on, Aopen, Samsung and even Westinghouse were considered "bad companies".

What made them good companies? They started consistently producing good products right? I was looking into buying the Sceptre and I read numerous reviews of it being plagued with the same problems as some of their other monitors. The point is, those companies listed did not likely make a big name for themselves based solely on one product. My question to truffle is, what makes this Scepter TV so much better than their others? Sceptre has been making LCD's since 1993. If they're not big yet, what makes you think that 2006 will be their year? If something seems to be too good to be true then it probably is.

Anyhow, If you do get the Sceptre I recommend finding a costco within driving distance, as the return policy alone is sufficient reason to purchase from there (not to mention the $1499 price after rebates and no shipping charges if you have a means to transport it).

I just dont want you to ignore Scepter's reputation and make a decision based on a spec sheet, that's all.

Good luck with your purchase.
 
Even assuming that the Sceptre is all it's cracked up to be, for general monitor purposes I'd go with the Dell for a much more manageable size and a much higher resolution. It would be much better for me personally for computing purposes.
 
Well I just bought one: the Sceptre. In addition to wanting resolution, I really felt that my low contrast ratio (not being able to distinguish enemies in the dark and for movies) and my higher response time (can't see where they are) was really hurting me in gaming. If not reflected my scores, it was just something that constantly bugged me. Like in Farcry, I felt like I could never see anyone through the bushes because I would blur over the subtle features you were supposed to pick out. I don't think the Dell would have done that much for me there. And, well, I have a Costco membership already so it wasn't a problem getting the Sceptre. If I don't like it, back to Costco it goes...it wouldn't be so easy with the Dell, and then I know what my options are.
 
your comparing a TV to a monitor

TV for gaming, monitor for everything else (much clearer text)

is it HD? if so then look at the picture format, that will tell you the res, ie, 1080i (the best res there is for HD) is 1920x1080
 
I just returned the Sceptre 37" to Costco this past weekend. The only reason that I returned was because of the judder bug. I had to set the refresh rate to 53hz to minimized the judder. Although there is a firmware fix for it now, I rather wait for the 42" that is about to come out in March. I loved the built in ATSC tuner and the HD quality is very nice. On the Desktop side, it was perfect! Only the judder bug when viewing HD contents. If your video card can handle 1920x1080 resolution, game play is very nice. I only have the 7800GTX and playing games like COD2 and FEAR is not very smooth. I will purchased the 42" when it comes out and perhap the 7900 to push the 1920x1080 resolution with all eye-candy turned on.
I will skip the Dell 30" due to lack of inputs and resolution is way to high. I can't see any video card driving that kind of resolution for another year. By that time we will see better monitors on the market.
I guess I have to live with my dual Dell 20" LCDs until march.
 
30in is mostly for people who need the real estate. in terms of gaming? i think you either need a lower res monitor or run out of native. running out of native is subjective, some people can stand it, some people can't. i personally like to always run in native and the dell's resolution is just way too high to run native
 
Back
Top