Scary n00b question...

chisaipete

Gawd
I was browsing the Video Card section and noticing a lot of people mentioning RMA'ing their old cards and then buying their new ones...

What does this mean?

RMA then sell the new card on ebay or something?

-Connor

I think they mean they send in their old cards when they get broken (accident or on purpose), usually manufactors send them a new and usually better card from the current videocard generation..Then they sell that, with the money they buy a new card. This is a despicable thing to do, and they should burn in hell if they do just solely just to cheat the system to get a new card to sell....

chisaipete said:
I was browsing the Video Card section and noticing a lot of people mentioning RMA'ing their old cards and then buying their new ones...

What does this mean?

RMA then sell the new card on ebay or something?

-Connor

Buy the new card and then RMA the old dead card to sell on ebay...might as well...

Ohh. Just curious, because I just sent my 9800 Pro in for ATI's Warranty "Repair" service. I was wondering if there was some secret I was missing or something.

I just figured I'd get a 9800 Pro back.

With the comments I've read I'm leaning toward maybe getting a crappy one back? Is ATI service really cruddy in that regard?

chisaipete said:
Ohh. Just curious, because I just sent my 9800 Pro in for ATI's Warranty "Repair" service. I was wondering if there was some secret I was missing or something.

I just figured I'd get a 9800 Pro back.

With the comments I've read I'm leaning toward maybe getting a crappy one back? Is ATI service really cruddy in that regard?

In that case, you'll likely get a 9800 pro in return.

darktiger said:
I think they mean they send in their old cards when they get broken (accident or on purpose), usually manufactors send them a new and usually better card from the current videocard generation..Then they sell that, with the money they buy a new card. This is a despicable thing to do, and they should burn in hell if they do just solely just to cheat the system to get a new card to sell....

Just sending them in for RMA repair service or replace...or does it REALLY vary by vendor. I'm assuming ATI will just replace mine. I don't have much of a hope for getting a newer card in the 9000 generation from ATI right?

chisaipete said:
Just sending them in for RMA repair service or replace...or does it REALLY vary by vendor. I'm assuming ATI will just replace mine. I don't have much of a hope for getting a newer card in the 9000 generation from ATI right?

The 9800 is the last model in the 9000 series. There aren't any newer ones. (There's the XT, but going from the pro to the XT isn't a huge gain.)

RMA = "Return to Manufacturer Authorization." It is the process by which manufacturer's give you permission to return defective merchandise in order to repair or replace it.

If they are indeed RMA'ing their video cards to get a newer one, then selling the newer one and using that money towards the purchase of a better video card, then that is taking advantage of the system. Anyone who does that is increasing the cost of video cards for other people because the cost of the replacement and the work that people do to replace it has to get factored into the overall cost of the new product.

Buckus said:
RMA = "Return to Manufacturer Authorization." It is the process by which manufacturer's give you permission to return defective merchandise in order to repair or replace it.

If they are indeed RMA'ing their video cards to get a newer one, then selling the newer one and using that money towards the purchase of a better video card, then that is taking advantage of the system. Anyone who does that is increasing the cost of video cards for other people because the cost of the replacement and the work that people do to replace it has to get factored into the overall cost of the new product.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with RMAing a video card and then selling off the newer card you recieve if the card did in fact die, so you can buy a better one. However, if you deliberately damaged the card then rma'd it to get a newer one then there's a problem.

Leright said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with RMAing a video card and then selling off the newer card you recieve if the card did in fact die, so you can buy a better one. However, if you deliberately damaged the card then rma'd it to get a newer one then there's a problem.

That's what I meant, deliberately damaging the card. Thank you for clarifying that. I have a friend who's GeForce 3 was killing monitors. He RMA'd it and got a ATI X300. :p

RMA isn't strictly for repair or replacement. You also need an RMA if you are returning the product for a refund, which is what I was planning on doing to my ati 9600xt in order to get a geforce 6600gt. Of course you usually only have 30 days to return a product for a refund.

Back