Limp Gawd
♠.SCARLET SPADE.♠

-------------------------------------------------
Progress so far...

Components
Modded Lian Li PC-8FIA (exterior anodized silver)
ASUS Rampage III Extreme
i7-930 processor
ASUS 5870 1GB
3 x 2GB Geil Black Dragon (red led)
Vertex 2 40GB boot drive
Corsair HX850W
MDPC braiding

Background
Hey guys :).
This was my last build, 'Red Spade'. Spade as in the playing card symbol, and as my handle on other forums and sites is 'mrjackspade'. As an attempt at a 'beautiful build', this was very much a starting point, through which I learnt how to braid properly. Also the first time I'd coordinated a proper colour scheme in a PC build :).
This time I wanted to try to do something similar with watercooling, using the same components in a new case that I'll mod for the purpose.

Case

I originally bought this case to turn into a Hackintosh (silver!) but after I got tired of using OS X, I decided to use it for this next project. It's not the prettiest of Lian Li cases; in fact I think the front grill looks absymal. Not the best case for watercooling either - the proximity of the top of the case to the motherboard means there's barely room for a fan up top, let alone a radiator, so the only place where you might fit one would be the front. Three things that need doing anyhow:
(1) Better looking front grill
(2) Radiator mount
(3) Case window

Here's two of those things half sorted :). I went for laser-cutting instead of dremelling as it's a lot cleaner and faster, and isn't too expensive either. If anyone is looking for a laser cutter you can find a very good guy on eBay (not hard to work out what to search!). Turn-around isn't the fastest, but he's a top guy and keeps in touch constantly.

Sorting out the window - quick dremel on the acrylic and a rough sand, thin double sided-foam tape (look for the industrial strength stuff!)

Cut the modder's mesh to the right shape (AC Ryan black mesh), and notched to fit into the case front. This'll probably be held in place by a mixture of the double sided tape and superglue.

Case 2

I decided to fit a set of wheels on the case with the assumption that it was going to be pretty heavy after water-cooling. I had originally planned to fit red led 120mm fans to the front - sadly, didn't look that great even behind the mesh. Just too small behind the humongous black bit out front!

So, cutting 140mm holes :).

And the result...

Pretty much the look I set out for so I'm pretty pleased with that. I will be putting black foam panels on the silver bits behind the mesh, so the shiny bits surrounding the fans don't show through. That's all for today :).

Back