Scanning as a pdf

volt01

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for free software to will scan to a pdf, or software that will convert from a .jpg to pdf.

By "scan to a pdf" do you actually mean scan a document in a scanner, and save it as a pdf? Would this be for Windows 7 (the computer in your sig)? I've used doPDF in the past and it worked pretty well. It basically lets you take any of your documents and convert them to PDF by going to the print screen and picking "doPDF" from the dropdown box, instead of your printer. Although I've never tried it it might work for images.

Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners can scan directly to OCR'ed PDFs, although I assume you already have a scanner so that probably won't work.

The way I've done it before is iCopy + PDF printer of your choice. iCopy is basically a direct scan->print program, then you set up a PDF printer like doPDF, pdfCreator, Bullzip PDF, Adobe PDF or whatever you prefer. Works pretty well.

Some scanners come with software that lets you scan directly to a PDF. I would check our your scanners website to see if there is any available to download for your model.

Also, if you are scanning in a JPEG and do not have direct scan-to-pdf capability, you can print to a 'pdf printer', such as CutePDF. CutePDF is a freeware program that is a virtual printer, except when you print to it, you get a 'save-as' window to save the file as a PDF. Along with CutePDF you also need to install Ghostscript, which is also free.

Back