Scanners, what is good?

laz

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, so I am a black and white photgrapher, and I need something to scan the prints I make, or whatever else I might want to scan.
I have looked at the Epson 3170, it seems good. But I dont know if I need everything it has to offer, like do I really need 3200dpi ect.
So, what are some scanner recomendations? I dont really want to have to spend more then the $180 it could cost for the epson, but I would like good quality, and a negative scanning option would be nice, but not vital.
Sorry if this is a common thread. I have been out of the loop with hardforums, and I never ususaly go in gen-hardware

Hmmm, anything Canon is really good. I can't give you any model names off the top of my head, but they are really good quality. Check their web site for more. Epson are decent too, but again i don't know any model names off the top of my head either, so you may want to look into that further.

The 3170 I believe is the 3200 without the transparency adapter. It's a good scanner but really is overkill for scanning prints. The actual resolution on printed B&W paper often rarely exceeds 300ppi, nevermind 600. However any scanner capable of doing 1200ppi (actual res, not listed on the box) will be fine and the 3170 can do that fairly well.

Personally I think you need a film scanner too so you can scan your negatives. And in spite of what some people say, a flatbed is no competition for a film scanner, even one like a Minolta Dual IV which costs $300 or so will tromp a $400 Epson 4800 (or whatever its called).

Originally posted by OldMX
Check this url, they have nice, fast and cheap scanners :D

OldMX
Yup, Epson, Canon and Microtek have good scanners.

I'd advise against HP however, unless you want a scanner that stops in the middle of the bed or doesn't know where the end of the bed is.

So, should I just get some cheap 1200x1200dpi scanner? That seems a little more reasonable in the cost.
But anyone recomendations on the type of image sensor is the best?

My HP3970 was a hundred bones at the local OfficeMax and offers solid scans for the price. It can scan at a far higher resolution than my scanner can print (Canon i550) and I have not had any problems with it. It is a solid cheap scanner.

The girlfriend bought an HP PSC 1210 (printer scanner copier all-in-one deal), and I'm constantly impressed by it. Even at 100dpi, the scans are nice and clear and sharp. It even has Linux support :D

-- A satisfied HP customer

I eventually will upgrade my Canon Lide30 to a good flatbed/negative scanner......someday. :p

Originally posted by royjr
a good flatbed/negative scanner.
Flatbeds that scan film and good don't necessarily belong in the same sentence. Particularly if you're talking about scanning such a small format like 35mm

And I'll say it again, I'd avoid HP. They used to have some of the best flatbeds but their reliability has shot down in recent years. I think it was at its worst a couple years ago. It's improving now but still not as good as Canon or Epson or Microtek.

All I know is that microtek used to make cheap crappy scanners back in the day. I have a Umax that I bought at least three years and it is ok but the contrast is not the best. Blacks should be blacker and whites should be brighter. That HP one that doubles as a picture frame looks cool but $200 is pretty expensive.

Originally posted by emorphien
Flatbeds that scan film and good don't necessarily belong in the same sentence. Particularly if you're talking about scanning such a small format like 35mm

And I'll say it again, I'd avoid HP. They used to have some of the best flatbeds but their reliability has shot down in recent years. I think it was at its worst a couple years ago. It's improving now but still not as good as Canon or Epson or Microtek.

That's good to know. I was thinking about those pricey Canon 4000-series scanners. I've heard so much about them,.......I'm interested in getting one, once I find myself using film a little bit more. Thanks! ;)

Back