Scanners and win 7

speedfrk

Limp Gawd
I can't get my canon D1250U2f scanner to install in win 7 x 86 even using compatibility mode. Apparently, scanners are going to be the red headed stepchild with win 7 just like vista. My problem is that I need to use my scanner pretty often and MS doesn't have a list of supported scanners. Anyone have luck with their scanner? List you model and OS (32 or 64 bit). A couple of guys on AT forums have partial use of their scanners, but apparently none of the HP, canon or other manufacturer software works. I will have to go back to using xp if I can't use a scanner...

Using 64 bit Windows 7 the scanner on an old Dell A920 All-in-one works, but you have to go to printers and devices page and click scan, the scan button on the printer does nothing.

I can't get my canon D1250U2f scanner to install in win 7 x 86 even using compatibility mode.
Your scanner is compatible with Vista 32 bit which means it will be compatible with Windows 7 32 bit. You should be able to even use the same drivers.

Remember, you don't have to use the installers that come with drivers. First off, unplug the scanner. Now, make sure nothing regarding the scanner has already been uninstalled. Visit Programs in Control Panel->Uninstall and remove anything Cannon related. You can click Start->Devices and Printers. Right click and remove anything that was installed already (you may not have anything). Then, to ensure you have your system configured to connect to Windows Update to find drivers, go to Start->Computer, R-Click -> Properties ->Advanced System Settings->Hardware->Driver Installation Settings - Choose connect to windows update for drivers and icons. Now just plug the scanner in. If the OS can't find the driver for you by default or Windows Update, you should be able to use an archiving program to open the installer .exe and manually extract the drivers. Then just point to that folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...6&c=Printers & Scanners&sc=Scanners&os=32-bit

Click "Free Download Required", Select OS -> Windows Vista
Grab the twain driver and the toolbox if you want additional functionality. Then use Winrar or 7zip to extract the drivers.

Your scanner is compatible with Vista 32 bit which means it will be compatible with Windows 7 32 bit. You should be able to even use the same drivers.

Remember, you don't have to use the installers that come with drivers. First off, unplug the scanner. Now, make sure nothing regarding the scanner has already been uninstalled. Visit Programs in Control Panel->Uninstall and remove anything Cannon related. You can click Start->Devices and Printers. Right click and remove anything that was installed already (you may not have anything). Then, to ensure you have your system configured to connect to Windows Update to find drivers, go to Start->Computer, R-Click -> Properties ->Advanced System Settings->Hardware->Driver Installation Settings - Choose connect to windows update for drivers and icons. Now just plug the scanner in. If the OS can't find the driver for you by default or Windows Update, you should be able to use an archiving program to open the installer .exe and manually extract the drivers. Then just point to that folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...6&c=Printers & Scanners&sc=Scanners&os=32-bit

Click "Free Download Required", Select OS -> Windows Vista
Grab the twain driver and the toolbox if you want additional functionality. Then use Winrar or 7zip to extract the drivers.

Thanks for the replies- I've tried all of those options already. Windows update just takes you to canon's homepage. If I download the vista driver, It tries to install the driver and always comes up with a "driver not installed" box in the end. Canon has a driver removal tool that removes all of their stuff- supposedly- and I've tried installing again after removing the uninstalled drivers. At any rate, I'm not sure you can assume that just because it works with vista that it works with 7. That has not been the case for me.
Someone on one of the forums did get their canon scanner to work using vuescan, but I'd rather spend the money on a newer scanner than 3rd party software since this scanner is pretty old. I just want to make sure that whatever I get will work well and not have partial functionality.

Can you use the windows fax and scan tool to access the scanner?
I only ask because my Epson RX680's scanner worked out of the box without installing the Epson scanner driver. It's just not using the Epson Scan utility.

Last edited:
Can you use the windows fax and scan tool to access the scanner?
I only ask because my Epson RX680's scanner worked out of the box without installing the Epson scanner driver. It's just not using the Epson Scan utility.

Update- I did finally get it to install the scanner drivers but I can't tell you that I did anything I didn't try before. Something must have been different, but I don't know what. I'll take it as divine providence... So the scanner will now work with the scangear toolbox, but the scanner still doesn't show up in Office scanning which is how I usually use it (for OCR, archiving documents, etc). I'll keep playing with it and see if I can get the Office scan utility to work. But at least it is now usable!

I have stuck with Epson have had no issues in Vista 64 or W7 64. I got 3170 Photo so its an older scanner.

Back