• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Scan lines on TV out from PC?

daedal

Gawd
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
686
I've got an annoying problem. My TV is showing some pretty bad scanlines when connected from my PC. What would be the cause? I've tried different colors and resolutions but there was little to no difference.

Here is an example. Note that the fast moving lines are from my slow camera. Look for a pale, slow-moving line instead that slightly distorsts the image as it moves up.
www.onusart.org/scan.avi

I've also noticed that I can't set my TV's resolution higher than 1024x768 even though it supports 720p, 720i and 1080i.
 
Would help more if you tell more about what connections you are using and what connections your television supports. Does it have VGA input? that would be the best way to hook your card to the tv. Are you using tv-out (s-video or composite) now?
 
Probably a ground loop problem. Probably caused by PC ground and a CATV line. If you have cable, try disconnecting your CATV line. There are video isolation transformers that break the ground on the CATV line, but you should check the CATV line ground first. Ideally all the grounds for CATV/phone/power should be the same.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-075
http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...IDEOHUM&mfg=Jensen+Transformers&search=0&off=

For 720p and 1080i you should be using component or higher (vga/dvi) to connect your PC to TV. Svideo or composite is not enough.
 
Igthorn said:
Probably a ground loop problem. Probably caused by PC ground and a CATV line. If you have cable, try disconnecting your CATV line. There are video isolation transformers that break the ground on the CATV line, but you should check the CATV line ground first. Ideally all the grounds for CATV/phone/power should be the same.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-075
http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...IDEOHUM&mfg=Jensen+Transformers&search=0&off=

For 720p and 1080i you should be using component or higher (vga/dvi) to connect your PC to TV. Svideo or composite is not enough.
I concur...had the exact same problem, and removing the CATV line made the lines go away. I ended up fixing it by grounding the amplifier on my cable line. Give Igthorn's suggestions a try as he's right on the money!
 
Sorry, it took me a while to answer.
The connection goes from my video card's S-video which then goes to VGA and plugs into the TV. I do have cable, I'll give that a try and see if it helps it any.
 
Well I'm happy! It really was the cable! Thanks guys, I'll pick up one of those isolators.
Now to figure out why I can't get past 1024x768.
 
Back
Top