Scaling on AMD, does it work?

Lyric Suite

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 19, 2010
Messages
273
I'm trying to decide whether to get a 970 and a R9 390, and aside for all the other pros and cons, one of the deciding factors for me would be a good scaling option. I play a tons of old games, and the scaling feature on my (current) 660 is just too convenient to give up. Is the scaling in the AMD drivers as good?
 
when you say scaling do you mean VSR/DSR? If yes then yes VSR on AMD works great. Love it on my 290 and don't want to be without it in games.
 
Scaling filtering for resolution on AMD is very good.

Speaking about VSR and DSR; for the 390 you do have a cap for max resolution of 3200x1800 which AMD uses the display controller to do this which does not incur an additional performance hit. Nvidia for DSR uses shaders which gives it more resolution flexibility but with a performance hit and a blur filter (Nvidia loves blur filters :D).
 
Scaling filtering for resolution on AMD is very good.

Speaking about VSR and DSR; for the 390 you do have a cap for max resolution of 3200x1800 which AMD uses the display controller to do this which does not incur an additional performance hit. Nvidia for DSR uses shaders which gives it more resolution flexibility but with a performance hit and a blur filter (Nvidia loves blur filters :D).

Didn't know that, that's good stuff. Does vsr work with crossfire and freesync all at the same time.

Also OP need you to clarify what it is your talking about. Is it DSR?
 
I cant live without VSR now. Skyrim looks better than any other game I got, even new ones. Got that bad boy modded to the moon. VSR makes it look so clear and smooth. I remember the first time I fired FFXIII with VSR @ 1800p, it was jaw dropping. I couldn't even put into words how amazing the game looked.
 
Back
Top