SC2-HOTS

Pivo504

2[H]4U
What does everyone think that has gone thru the single player & played online? I have read a bunch of reviews and all of them seem to be 50/50..Some say its great some say they are disappointed...

It's worth the money for the multiplayer portion. As I've said before, single player was pretty bad. Campaign was short and had a horrible story. You have a dark sci fi story in SC\BW whereas SC2 seems to have a lot more fantasy elements with prophecies, primal zerg, etc... Blizzard did do a lot of retcons and went into a new direction; it's too bad, since in BW there were some cool pivotal moments. Check some generic polls and a huge majority preferred the SC\BW story over the SC2 story. I could forgive a short campaign if there is an excellent story but that's not the case for SC2. Blizz has not written a good story in a long time.

Regardless of that, multiplayer is where it's at.

Multiplayer is awesome. The new units change a lot and make the games a lot more exciting.
Single player is okay. I wouldn't say it is bad, just really not that impressive because it doesn't meet the extremely high standards you would expect from Blizzard.

While fun to play through, HotS single player campaign is no where near as good as WoL campaign. Worth playing for the storyline, but it was lacking in the heart and humor that WoL had.

That and i miss Tychus. Yeah, i know he's dead, but i still miss that amoral ass kicker! :D

I hear the game has no substance and its only a training simulator for Mulitplayer. Which is sad.

sad news...starcraft is pretty much one of the greatest RTS single player game out there, at least in my opinion. Warcraft 3 & Frozen throne are next but I always liked scifi better than fantasy..I could never get into the multiplayer so for me I always bought it for the story..

The single player is excellent, better than WoL in every way except being a little easier (crank up the difficulty if that bothers you).

Multiplayer is great but its a bonus

I hear the game has no substance and its only a training simulator for Mulitplayer. Which is sad.

Not true at all, the single player is nothing like the multi. Different missions, different units, etc etc.

I agree with others in that it was not up to par on the story side. It was also too short. Finished it in less than two days. I do like how you get units as you progress and the hero units were fun. But I didn't feel like I really had the opportunity to play them all. Felt like I just got my last unit unlocked and then game over. Another five or six mission where I could use everything and not be rushed by stupid timers would have been very nice.

I did like the single player units a lot and the evolution options. Raptor zerglings are awesome. Multiplayer is very different and when I first tried it I was confused looking for where the hell all my cool units were hiding.

Worth the 40 bucks for me but a little disappointing.

Even though the campaign is 27 missions (WoL only had 25), it felt shorter than WoL and definitely not as innovative/fun.

I am disappoint.

Wings of liberty was pretty decent in my opinion. Not great but I still feel it was worth my money for what I got out of the SP. HOS is nothing compared to that. The single player is crap for the most part. Very linear, very short, most missions are timed in some way or another. WOL at least gave you an illusion of choice with who you interacted with and who you helped. Not this time around, the only real options you have are zerg traits but you had those in WOL with the terran unions sooo, yea. Very one dimensional. They try padding the missions count with "evolution" missions that are in no way difficult and literally last 2 minutes. There are 7 of those too, so that brings the actual mission count down to 20. The story is just lame, very cliche and overdone. It's a very different direction than SC1 and Brood War. I'm playing through SC1 now and its darker, grittier, shit happens just because.

Does the multiplayer make it worth it? Yes, absolutely but I wouldn't pay full retail for the SP. I actually didn't, I got it for 20 which makes it a bit better.

I haven't bought HOTS yet, (been disappointed with blizzard lately). i keep seeing people mentioning improvements to multiplayer and was wondering what they are? I thought everyone could play the same arcade games online, and that the patch also modified WOL to look/act like HOTS.

do you guys mean improvements as in melee/rated games? like 1v1/2v2/3v3?

I was waiting to pick it up when its really cheap

Serpico how is hots better? I've seen more reviews say it's worse than wol..also chedwick where did you find it for 20 only?

Guess you could just read the "official" thread on it in the PC forum to see what people think of it.

What does everyone think that has gone thru the single player & played online? I have read a bunch of reviews and all of them seem to be 50/50..Some say its great some say they are disappointed...

I just got it over the weekend and I've enjoyed it. Personally I think the campaign is great (about 75% through) and the online is basically the same nothing majorly different.
They have added some helpful features and of course some new units.

But if you are a fan and like to play it, it'll be worth it.

Story is worse than Wings of Liberty. But the gameplay and missions are much more fun and well designed.

Multiplayer is awesome, new training modes, units revamped, new amazing units added. I'm having a blast.

Worth the money if you plan to play the multiplayer at all.

Serpico how is hots better? I've seen more reviews say it's worse than wol..also chedwick where did you find it for 20 only?

Hmm, I thought I replied to this last night but w/e. Newegg was doing a $10 off pre-order promo and I've had a $10 credit on my account for a while that I wasn't going to use for anything else there.

I was honestly gonna wait for a little while before picking it up, maybe even Christmas in hopes of a sale. But I felt the deal was worth it and I kinda wanna get back into the multi-player sooner rather than later.

Back