SBS2003 SmartHost Setup with AUTH on Port 587, no worky

So, I just finished setting up internet emails on this SBS2003 box. We have ReverseDNS, SPF, MX, DNS records setup that are correct for their static IP. Unfortunately, the static IP they were given is listed in the dreaded DUL (Dynamic User List) and now a lot of mail gets bounced back right away. I requested to get the IP removed but in the mean time I thought I would setup the Smart Host so they can send mail that way. Their ISP requires authentication and to use port 587 instead of 25. I setup the SmallBusiness SMTP connector to use their SMTP server as the smart host. I also setup outbound authentication with a valid username/password for their account. Everytime we send mail it hangs out in the retry cue with the message "The remote SMTP service rejected AUTH negotiation."

So I thought, okay, maybe I need to set it up on the SMTP Virtual Server instead. So I added the smart host there, setup the outbound port to 587. Then I set the basic authentication username/password to the correct on and click on okay. When I click on okay it gives me this notification: "SMTP COnfiguration: The profile for the user is a temporary profile." I click on okay but from there I cannot okay out of the SMTP Virtual Server properties, only cancel out. If I just put in the some gibberish that isn't valid it will let me okay out of it. Driving me nuts right now. I tried my best GoogleFu but I can't seem to find anything about this particular issue . . . .

Any ideas?

Yah I set it on both....and then restart the SMTP service. No luck clearing it when restarting the service?

Yah I set it on both....and then restart the SMTP service. No luck clearing it when restarting the service?

Nope, no love. If I have the authentication and smarthost setup in the SMTP connector and then the port setup on the SMTP VS if refuses auth. If I set the smarthost in the VS then it won't let me save the basic authentication in the outbound security box, just gives me that temporary user error. Weird. :(

Is this an existing server? Check the services file...in case someone dorked custom SMTP ports in there.

//goes back to installing new SBS box at oil company...

existing SBS2003 server. Exchange sat dormant for the last year. they finally decided to move into the 21st century and use this new email thing that the kids are talking about. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it, should be off the DUL by tomorrow . . . . I hope . . ..

Back