SBS2003, Noob mistake....

ph03n1x

n00b
We have a Dell PE1900 with SBS03 loaded on it. I thought the default partitions and setup would hold us over, but I was wrong. Now the only thing I really have setup that can't be redone in a weekend project is Exchange.

I've looked around for guides on how to backup and restore, but idk maybe Im just not reading it properly.

Does anyone have any good resources on backing up and then restoring on a new server?

I plan on repartitions and doing a fresh install of SBS and all the add-ons, and start fresh and the exchange server is making me nervous.

I'd like to thank you all in advance!

when you do a fresh install of sbs and setup all your users that will setup exchange for you...

are you flattening the pc's before joining them to the 'new' domain? if so, just backup the mail from outlook and then squirt it back in when the pc is joined to the new domain?

i'm doing the same for a customer in the next few weeks, though this is to a completely new server and i didn't want to carry any of the crap across from the old one so we're starting from scratch! :)

edit: if you have enough disk space can you not just tinker about with the partitions? it's a bit risky, but the tools out there are pretty good these days... where are you stuggling for free disk space? the exchange store? could you move it to another partition that has more free space?

i know it'll setup exchange accounts for me, im just worried about the users mail stores Granted its a 15 person office so backing up to .pst is an option, i was looking for a way to do this from the server side

im not doing the fresh install just for space, a big part of it is that someone in the office "KNEW What they were doing" AND a lot of things dont work, so i want to start fresh.

www.smallbizserver.net

Excellent forums..and great "how to" articles.

But...what is wrong with your current partition setup..and the infostore? You know you can move the infostore very easily without having to rebuild the server. If it's on your C drive..and the C drive is getting tight, just dismount it for a few minutes...with a very easy to follow wizard move it to your other larger partition...and mount it again. One quick registry edit...reconfig your antivirus...and Done!

Can also repartition the server with something called Paragon.

YeOlde - did you use it?

Can also repartition the server with something called Paragon.

YeOlde - did you use it?

Neg....gotta wait til I have time to go onsite after hours. They had 45 megs free on the C partition! :eek: Freed up unutter 300 megs..bought some time for several weeks.

Gotta love that 8 gig C drive on SBS! :rolleyes:

You should be able to resize the partition with some creative work using GParted or Paragon. Save yourself the hours of work rebuilding the server and just resize the partition... I've done it on several Dell servers because the old admin never noticed they shipped with a 12 gig C: partition.

You should be able to resize the partition with some creative work using GParted or Paragon. Save yourself the hours of work rebuilding the server and just resize the partition... I've done it on several Dell servers because the old admin never noticed they shipped with a 12 gig C: partition.

I used Paragon to redo that god damn partition on an Server box about a year back. Worked Great.

Here's an interesting article on how to Back up/restore exchange While your server is still servicing users. Take a look LINK

okay i get it, lol i can migrate the info share.

that doesnt fix the messups of the unknown staff member ruining the sharepoint services, the RWW and all the fun stuff that makes sbs, sbs. lol

okay i get it, lol i can migrate the info share.

that doesnt fix the messups of the unknown staff member ruining the sharepoint services, the RWW and all the fun stuff that makes sbs, sbs. lol

Most things are fixable. Unless whoever installed it botched it up so much as to have .com for the FQDN or something.....most things are fixable.

A good tool for all SBS boxes...the Best Practices Analyzer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/...7A-DE19-49BB-800F-352F3B6F2922&displaylang=en

Other things often fixed my running the CEICW a few times.

Most things are fixable. Unless whoever installed it botched it up so much as to have .com for the FQDN or something.....most things are fixable.

A good tool for all SBS boxes...the Best Practices Analyzer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/...7A-DE19-49BB-800F-352F3B6F2922&displaylang=en

Other things often fixed my running the CEICW a few times.
Thankfully nothing that dumb. The things we're running into are things that just don't make sense. When we go to office.companyname.com/remote we get "Server Error in '/Remote' Application.Server Error in '/Remote' Application." Followed by what the error is, and this happens with every other service that we used to be able to use, minus OWA. I think they tried to install SPS3.0 ontop of SPS2.0 or something. I really dont know what the hell happaned. I was asked to take care of it, being as I have the most knowledge in the company...

I ran the Best Practices tool, and it found nothing, except the fact that I havent installed WSUS3.0 yet.

Back