SBS Server

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Just looking for a tower (There's no rack) for an SMB... About 50 users, only a max of 20ish signed on at any given time.

I was thinking of SBS 2008, what are you folks sticking into SMBs nowadays?

Starting out with 50....leaving only 25 for growth (SBS maxes at 75 CALs)....may want to look at what they project for growth.

Also, what other apps do they run?
What are their needs?
Any of my clients with more than 50 users I have at least a couple of servers..yes sometime still headed by SBS, but I'll spread the load.

They don't run squat right now. Absolutely nothing... Seriously only going to be about 10-15 users using it all day at any given time. 20 or 25 off and on. But 50 different ones total (lots of field hands that don't use it much).

My thoughts?
Exchange
File Shares
Sharepoint

Kinda depends what the field guys do? Just email? OWA would be okay? Or need to access some application on inside?

If dont need terminal services, then SBS 08, Dell T610 or T710 would be nice, Dual Proc, SAS, lots of mem.

I have done the T310, T410 and T610 recently. All great. Pretty similar setups, the T310 was just a small Server 03, 4GB 4 146GB SAS Raid 5 for a dental office. T610 was Raid 1/Raid5 SAS with Global hotspare.

If the field guys need to access stuff on inside maybe TS.

The field guys will probably just use OWA and file shares so that they can save and request documents from the server.

How's the licensing in SBS 08 work? Is it still concurrent users (given, it's a User CAL)??
Can I disable the PITA licensing service in SBS 08 yet or not?

If they won't be passing 75 users in the next 5 years, it may be a good option for you.
Setup Outlook Anywhere for the remote users, they gain better Outlook functionality than OWA. Sharepoint for document sharing in<==>out of the office. Ensure the main internet pipe to the office has a good upload.

Can I create a "Customer XYZ" folder, and inside that have an Invoices folder, Sales Orders folder, etc... And assign Customer XYZ to that folder so that they can access all their documents online with Sharepoint?

how does sharpoint really work? do you have to manually add the documents to it?

if you have a folder customer xyz, can you publish that online??

Back