SBS 2011 fails during install when expanding files

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
I am just having no luck with SBS 2011. I downloaded the 6.5GB ISO file from TechNet. I really wanted to install it using a USB drive since it would be much quicker. I was not able to get it to copy properly to a USB drive. I was using wireless and it is a big file, so I figured maybe it was corrupt when transferring it. I downloaded it several more times and also used wired LAN. Still couldn't copy to USB. I pull out the double layer discs and try to burn it with Active@ ISO. Again no luck and I tried on multiple PCs. I end up downloading the software at work and was finally able to successfully burn it to a disc.

So I bring the disc home to install on my server and when it reaches 30% of expanding the files, it fails. Message is about missing or corrupt files. I tried a different DVD drive and hard drive. Still the same issue. I try a different server. Same issue. Must be the disc, right? I put the disc into my laptop and it installs fine! I try a different laptop and once again it installs fine!

I can also install it on my ESXi box without a problem. So what could possibly be causing it to fail?

I am just having no luck with SBS 2011. I downloaded the 6.5GB ISO file from TechNet. I really wanted to install it using a USB drive since it would be much quicker. I was not able to get it to copy properly to a USB drive. I was using wireless and it is a big file, so I figured maybe it was corrupt when transferring it. I downloaded it several more times and also used wired LAN. Still couldn't copy to USB. I pull out the double layer discs and try to burn it with Active@ ISO. Again no luck and I tried on multiple PCs. I end up downloading the software at work and was finally able to successfully burn it to a disc.

So I bring the disc home to install on my server and when it reaches 30% of expanding the files, it fails. Message is about missing or corrupt files. I tried a different DVD drive and hard drive. Still the same issue. I try a different server. Same issue. Must be the disc, right? I put the disc into my laptop and it installs fine! I try a different laptop and once again it installs fine!

I can also install it on my ESXi box without a problem. So what could possibly be causing it to fail?

bad ram ? Amount of ram ? bios not set to defaults ?

bad ram ? Amount of ram ? bios not set to defaults ?

It ended up being the DVD drives. Even though they were double layer drives, they must not have been reading the disc properly. Maybe Roxio to close the disc right...

I ended up using UNetbootin to copy the files to a USB drive which worked successfully. Not sure why xcopy didn't work since I have always used that in the past.

At least now it is up and running.

Back