SBS 2008 + HyperVM + Setting up Networking

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I am setting up a SBS 2008 server for one of my clients that needs to run BES for a few users. I want to setup HyperVM and I have started testing it but I don't think I setup the network cards properly.

The server is a Dell T300 with dual broadcom.

Nic1 - 192.168.10.10
Nic2 - 192.168.10.11

Now I load up HyperVM create a external network connection and bind it to nic2 add then install server 03 with a legacy network card and I gave that 192.168.10.12

To me that doesn't seem to right, shouldn't the network card in the VM grab whatever settings were from the binded nic2?

Also SBS with dual nic isn't recommended is this going to screw anything up? And HyperVM in SBS 08 is that okay to even run?

I read a little saw that 2 nic wasn't supported but thats it.

This will be to run BES in Server 03 for like 3-5 users

The reason it has the ip 192.168.10.12 is because its so you don't need a nic for every vm. About the SBS I don't know, but it shouldn't be a problem using 2 nics with it bonded to only 1 nic.

If I remember correctly, SBS2008 as the parent partition with virtual machine child partitions is not a supported/recommended solution by MS.

You could run HyperV server as the parent, and virtualize the SBS partition, and a separate 2003/2008 for BES

the reason for the .12 addy is the VM uses the .11 connection to get to the network, think of it as a ladder, once it reaches the network, it gets its own IP, you can have several VM's using the .11 link and each one gets its own IP

Okay sounds right. Cool.

Right now I have this T300 with Raid 5 with 4 250GB SATA. 8GB, 2.53Ghz Quad Core Xeon. Set up SBS 08 and then a VM with 1GB memory and 40GB space. It is working want to run it a little before I deploy it. I dont have BES loaded on it yet, mostly just a blank OS.

Any forums or links to why its not supported or problems that arise.

Okay sounds right. Cool.

Right now I have this T300 with Raid 5 with 4 250GB SATA. 8GB, 2.53Ghz Quad Core Xeon. Set up SBS 08 and then a VM with 1GB memory and 40GB space. It is working want to run it a little before I deploy it. I dont have BES loaded on it yet, mostly just a blank OS.

Any forums or links to why its not supported or problems that arise.

What the hardware run? I wanna replace a box at work.

Back