SBS 2003 to Vanilla 2003

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a site that is running an SBS 2003 (getting to be very old) and a Server 2008 machine. SBS 2003 isn't running exchange or sharepoint or anything, just being used as a DC, File Server, and has a old Cold Fusion Application. The Cold Fusion App developer hasn't been around in some time and thus the program has no support.

This site needs to get a new server badly and I was going to virtualize this SBS 2003 box since it needs to stay active for the software.

Is there a way to strip out any of the extra stuff in SBS 2003 and make it act as Server 2003?

I plan to put a new Server 2008 R2 machine in for the domain and I believe SBS will start making problems if it isn't the main DC.

At this point it is a complete manual process to break apart SBS2003, they use to have the transition pack for SBS but it can no longer be purchased.

You will have to install the new server, then migrate software, data, THEN FSMO roles. Alert!!! Once you move FSMO roles you break the core license agreement on SBS2003 and it will go into a SBCore shutdown after 7 days and shutdown every two hours.

so in other words, make sure all your roles and software are running correctly before you migrate the domain roles and demote the sbs server

See i dont want to transfer any of the roles, i want to do a full rebuild, but I need that one application to not break.

I still see the transition pack on google for sale.

Can I remove all the roles from SBS, then rejoin it as a member server or no?

no, SBS must have all SBS services installed unless it has gone through the transition pack (which breaks it into individual roles like OS, exchange, sharepoint)

If you want to keep your domain you need to transfer domain roles to a different server.

Does your app require server 2003 or can you update to 2008?

the problem is no support on the app, no cd, no contact. needs to remain on this server forever lol.

so what if i do a transition back, can i break the roles with no other computers around, like will it allow me to remove the role, or would I need a temp server to do so? if i can break the role then i can get it to vanilla server, then i can remove from the old domain dcpromo it and join new domain in hyperv.

the problem is no support on the app, no cd, no contact. needs to remain on this server forever lol.

so what if i do a transition back, can i break the roles with no other computers around, like will it allow me to remove the role, or would I need a temp server to do so? if i can break the role then i can get it to vanilla server, then i can remove from the old domain dcpromo it and join new domain in hyperv.

Once you do the transition pack (if you can get it) you can uninstall the roles

Back