SBS 2003, concurrent file sharing users linked to CALs?

Just making sure I am thinking clearly. SBS 2003's limit on concurrent authenticated access (in this case file sharing) is limited to the number of CALS right?

Right now I have 5 but am planning on purchasing more. Though with 5 cals I can get 10-13 concurrent connections for file sharing before users fail to authenticate due to lack of proper licence.

Now if I'm thinking clearly as soon as I purchase the additional 15 CAL's I need and activate them on the server it will allow for more connections, right?

Dumb question but in the last 4 days I've had a total of 5 hours of sleep and I'm a bit out of it right now.

(INote to self: send more resumes out, IT Admin at helpdesk wages is not worth it outside of the experience gained)

-Sean Casey said:
Just making sure I am thinking clearly. SBS 2003's limit on concurrent authenticated access (in this case file sharing) is limited to the number of CALS right?

Right now I have 5 but am planning on purchasing more. Though with 5 cals I can get 10-13 concurrent connections for file sharing before users fail to authenticate due to lack of proper licence.

Now if I'm thinking clearly as soon as I purchase the additional 15 CAL's I need and activate them on the server it will allow for more connections, right?

It depends on which licensing model you are using, either per device or per user. Your number of concurrent connections are based on the number of CALs installed in the mode of your choosing, so it's either 5 users or 5 devices (its not a "hard" limit)

Once you enter and activate the new CALs then SBS should allow for more concurrent connections.

every user that needs to authenticate must have a Cal, unathenticated user ( web site visitors etc) do not

Back