SBS 08 Exchange Database Location?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
I have not yet run through the Wizards that configure email yet.
So, my question, is does it ask me in those Wizards where to store the Exchange data?
I mean, I want it on my Data partition, not OS partition. I just want to get it in the right location from the get-go, obviously.

I couldn't find anything online that answers this question, could be my search terms- so I figured I'd come post here.

Thanks!

I came across this yesterday, did my first SBS08 install...had to nag Marley as he's done a few in the past months.

I won't prompt you during the install like SBS03 did, but after...
SBS management console...those buttons along the top...like the 4th one over..or maybe 5th..click on that and you'll see on the right side links for a wizard to move Mail Store, Users Share, Redirects, WSUS, etc.

Look for the one that says Server/Storage

move all them =)

Techie - I pm'd ya my aim name, just incase, i like having some people to bug during random problems =)

Cool deal. I'll check that out. I'm waiting on ISP (port issues, etc) before going forward with anything yet, but I'm just trying to think through everything I'm going to need to know ahead of time.

Like that yeolde :)

Its handy knowing the consultants on forum, each of us are usually a reseller of something else and can help each other.

SBS08 is growing on me, no that BES is free again and supported on it I'm happy :)

While we seem to have the sbs guys in here, any tweaks you guys are doing?

Apart from moving EVERYTHING to the data partitions and removing all the user space restrictions as standard. a 2GB mailbox limit....
anyway, its good to see an SBS product that works with its wizards, first attempt ditching them and going at it like a server brought in more issues.

Only other tweak I've done from the default install, I added a pagefile to the data partition..so the OS has pagefiles on the C drive and the 2nd partition which is it's own RAID volume..so it's a separate spindle.

Good to know im on the right track,
Last question before im done for thread hijacking. What kind of drives do you use and in what setup?
Right now im doing RAID 5 partitioned into 2 drives, but wanted to know if there was a better way?

raid 1/raid 5/global hotspare, 146GB SAS =), so 7 drives =)

thats the best solution but costs a bit more. normally people like raid1/raid5.

for small clients i do just raid 5 sas

Good to know im on the right track,
Last question before im done for thread hijacking. What kind of drives do you use and in what setup?
Right now im doing RAID 5 partitioned into 2 drives, but wanted to know if there was a better way?

On super budget rigs....RAID 1 split into 2 partitions or RAID 5 split into 2 partitions will suffice. But if you can...you get MUCH better performance splitting the 2 on separate RAID.

5x drives....I usually try to do a pair of 74 gigs drives RAID 1 for the OS, and get three 146 gig drives setup in RAID 5 for the data volume. So you'll get about a 60 gig drive C for the OS, and a 270 gig drive D for the data. In hardware, this is effectively 2x different spindles, so you get MUCH better performance versus having 2x partitions on the same RAID volume.

The server I'm about to deploy, it's all 2.5" 15k SAS drives.

Like that yeolde :)

Its handy knowing the consultants on forum, each of us are usually a reseller of something else and can help each other.

SBS08 is growing on me, no that BES is free again and supported on it I'm happy :)

I told you it wasn't that bad. I think I was one of the first of the consultants here to deploy it. You need to give me that heads up either via email or aim on how that bes install goes.

Yea the one big thing OP is anything that can be moved via the sbs console pretty much needs to be moved by it. I made some changes on the first sbs08 server I did without doing that and ended up having to go back and fix it because it caused some issues.

went fine, haven't been able to activate a phone yet, needs to be plugged into server.

everything would have went smooth, but as I was doing the install, 15 minutes in I relized I installed under domain admin not besadmin....

uninstall, reinstall was able to get everything running, but couldn't log into the web portal

call to RIM, uninstall again, something screwy happened with the SQL database, created a new database, reinstall, didn't do AD authentication to start, and all was good, added the user and was on the online portal.

very nice so far, no fee, 75 user limit all though you can go up to a 1000 or more, blackberry can have bes plan and get wifi activation, or regular data plan and have to be plugged into server for wired activation.

will know on Tuesday/Wednesday how it works.

Back