SBC Global, tech support

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Got a fun story for you folks. Gather round, gather round.

I called SBC global this afternoon to get the ip information for my account ( ip range, gateway, broadcast, netmask ). Here's what I got:

My range: xx.xxx.xx.169-176
My Subnet: 255.255.255.248
Gateway: xx.xxx.xx.175
Broadcast: xx.xxx.xx.176

This is information I got from *`Bob`. Thanking him, vaguely aware at this point something was wrong, I hung up. Speaking of which, do you know how long it takes to "properly" hang up with these people? I spent two minutes answering their goodbye questions. The first time. The rest of the times, I just hung up.

Enjoy the chuckle folks.

* Bob, who could not have learned english earlier than last year.

Well come on fill in the xx.xxx let us all have some fun :p

XOR != OR said:
Got a fun story for you folks. Gather round, gather round.

I called SBC global this afternoon to get the ip information for my account ( ip range, gateway, broadcast, netmask ). Here's what I got:

My range: xx.xxx.xx.169-176
My Subnet: 255.255.255.248
Gateway: xx.xxx.xx.175
Broadcast: xx.xxx.xx.176

This is information I got from *`Bob`. Thanking him, vaguely aware at this point something was wrong, I hung up. Speaking of which, do you know how long it takes to "properly" hang up with these people? I spent two minutes answering their goodbye questions. The first time. The rest of the times, I just hung up.

Enjoy the chuckle folks.

* Bob, who could not have learned english earlier than last year.

The[H]uman said:
Well come on fill in the xx.xxx let us all have some fun :p
I don't think anything lives at the addresses they gave me, I'm sure not using them, that's for sure.

That's the other side of it: I had an existing range of IPs when I called, and the ones they gave me are completely off from what I had. I'm using my old ones, needless to say. :)

XOR != OR said:
That's the other side of it: I had an existing range of IPs when I called, and the ones they gave me are completely off from what I had. I'm using my old ones, needless to say. :)
Plus I don't think their supplied ranges match up. the end/broadcast each look one too high and the gateway just seems odd.

lomn75 said:
Plus I don't think their supplied ranges match up. the end/broadcast each look one too high and the gateway just seems odd.
Yeah, exactly. 63.203.43.168/29 ( which is what 255.255.255.248 is ) has a range of 63.203.43.169-175, 175 being the broadcast. So 176 CAN'T be the broadcast, it is in fact the network for the next subnet.

Indeed, 175, which is supposed to be my gateway, is the broadcast. Ya all think that'd work? :)

Well, I suppose setting the gateway to the broadcast could work, but it's certainly a dumb idea.

Oh I get it (had to do some math might be incorrect)

Witha subnet of 248 the clients gets to use the bits 1,2,4 right so to make the address
175 you'd have to use bits 8, 6,4,3,2,1

Therefore... 176 is technically on a differnt network of: 8,6,5 (because bits 8 - 5 are the network and bits 4-1 are the clients)

I just wish I could have that job, really I know the stuff I speek english at an understandable level (gotta love public schools :))
Even though I might not have spotted that right away, the more I did work like that the more likely I am to spot mistakes like that quickly

bigstusexy said:
Oh I get it (had to do some math might be incorrect)

Witha subnet of 248 the clients gets to use the bits 1,2,4 right so to make the address
175 you'd have to use bits 8, 6,4,3,2,1

Therefore... 176 is technically on a differnt network of: 8,6,5 (because bits 8 - 5 are the network and bits 4-1 are the clients)

I just wish I could have that job, really I know the stuff I speek english at an understandable level (gotta love public schools :))
Even though I might not have spotted that right away, the more I did work like that the more likely I am to spot mistakes like that quickly
Hey, I didn't spot it until after I hung up with "Bob". I just had this vague feeling that all was not right. I ran the math later, then ran it again, then tried to set it up and when that failed, I ran it again to be sure.

I don't often run into weird subnets, so I don't get a great deal of practice with it. I should get one of those network calculators, that would have been handy.

Anyway, after going a few more rounds with them ( I spoke with a "Dave", "Victoria" with whom I flirted. Not that she understood that ). I finallyI found a "Tom" who I finally managed to convince that the numbers would not work. So he gave me the number to the "Partitioning" Dept. I'm calling them in the morning.

I hope they live in the same hemisphere.

I'm reminded of dialog from a Dilbert cartoon:

Hello, how may I help you? My name is Kruphnehdahpheweundikaniswalyniaphorganopop.

I mean... "Carl."

LOL that is funny

I'm not racists at all I'm just not happy about poor service do to miscommunication. I literally had to threten IBM to get my laptop repaired when i called in on the last day of warrenty and the person didn't want to get my repair done out of warrenty and we had to read the serial number to each other 10 TIMES before she got it right!!!

Whats with the american names anyway (I've yet to meet a femal Dave but..) the name doesn't hide the accent

Back