SBC DSL 1.5-6.0/384-608 for $45.

qdemn7

Supreme [H]ardness
SBC DSL has just introduced a new speed package to compete with Cable Internet. The SBC Yahoo! DSL Expert Plus Package is $44.99 for "officially" 1.5-3.0/384 but your speeds could be as high as 6.0/608 depending on your distance from the CO. You can order it from the link or for more info go to the SBC DSL Forum at Broadband Reports.com

The best thing is that there are so download "caps" like have been causing so many problems with cable internet services. I've had SBC DSL for over a year, and have been very happy with it. I can't imagine going back to cable.

Good question. Use the first link to go through the process to see if it's available in your area. As far as I know it's available in most areas that SBC already has service.

oooh, I might have to give that a try, Cox hasn't told me about any transfer limits....YET....I WAS happy with my SBC DSL until some chucklehead from the phone company fucked up my Interface Box by reconnecting a miniplex that should have been completely removed from the premises. Then I have to wait 3 weeks for my DSL to get turned back on. I essentially told them to stick it and had Cable installed within 2 business days.

Haha, i knew this would happen, SBC lost so many customers because of Comcast :D (including myself). I think i'll stick with comcast though, it's cheaper anyway

Originally posted by SB22
Haha, i knew this would happen, SBC lost so many customers because of Comcast :D (including myself). I think i'll stick with comcast though, it's cheaper anyway

85% of high speed users don't notice a difference with the service.

Not defending DSL here, but what makes you think SBC is losing so many customers?? Just becuz they are adding packages, or refining the technology to allow faster transfers over twisted pair??

I say don't be so quick to judge...

Originally posted by SkiWhiz

Not defending DSL here, but what makes you think SBC is losing so many customers?? Just becuz they are adding packages, or refining the technology to allow faster transfers over twisted pair??

SBC lost a lot of customers (me included - a six year Prodigy dial-up subscriber) because of slow roll-out times. I was promised DSL service within six months of when I asked a few years ago. A year later they told me that they still had no plans to go with DSL in my area, even though I'm within a mile of the CO.

I gave up on them, and went with Charter. I was up and running the day I subscribed. I've only been down twice since then, and both times were only for about half an hour at most. Top it off with the increased bandwidth they gave out, and I can't complain about a thing. Right now I'm paying $40 a month for a connection that is running at 1921/248, which I just ran. With my old Prodigy dial-up, I was only hitting around 22 down/ 19 up, and paying about $20 month.

The speed increase was well worth it, and that's why they lost me, and quite a few of my friends too.

Tim

i just jumped to speakeasy :rolleyes:

pachells bullshit 1.5/128 cap pissed me off to no avail, seeing as im 400 feet from the co, alas im on 1.5/768 capped speakeasy now

I think this because it's a fact. My old Enhanced DSL, that i've been getting for i dunno, 5 years or so, was $65+ a month for 1.5mbps/128kbps w/ 5 static IP's. Now with my new Comcast Cable, i recieve well over 3.0mbps/256kbps for $19.95/month for 4 months and then only $42.95 after that. I'd definatly say Comcast is a MUCH better deal.

Also, i know TONS of people who have switched over from SBC to Comcast, as well as i work for an onsite computer repair company, and only a few months ago, we saw about 80-90% of broadband users had SBC DSL, now's it's easily 50%-50% or even 60%-40% with Comcast taking over. At least in my area, MORE people are going with Comcast cable over SBC DSL because it's cheaper, faster, and you don't have to deal with contracts. I ordered my cable internet, and had a technicion here within 36 hours to remove the filter from the main box down the street. I'd say that's a lot better then waiting a few weeks or however long it takes to get the DSL companies to do anything.

Basically i think Comcast cable is a better value and less of a hastle then SBC's DSL services. Also, my outgoing e-mail was screwed up multiple times on SBC's end and tooks weeks to get repaird, only to do it again a few months later.

The problem with Comcast is their bandwidth limitation for high bandwish users (Comcast calls them abusers, depsite offering "unlimited" serivce). There are some pretty long threads over at Broadband Reports.com like this one. Quite a few people are pretty damn mad. DSL has NO bandwidth limitaions, and I'll only be paying $2 a month more than you, but to each his own.

Yes, I believe that SBC sucks BALLS I currently have SBC DSL, and take a look at www.dslreports.com (doesnt just have dsl, also has cable etc...) and look at the houston area, by FAR roadrunner kills them off, with even 5 mbit speeds from roadrunner, currently i get like 1.3/100 from SBC and it BLOWS my ballz to roadrunner.

guess what? my SBC contract ends March 15, W0000000t then its Roadrunner time.

this is a pretty good deal as normally its 140 a mo, and they just eneded a deal jan 31 where it was 99 a mo for the first year instead of 45 like this one... man i shoulda got this for a year then switched to regular 1.5/384, 140 is too expensive

It is so such a good deal, too bad I don't live in the SBC territory. I'm paying $50/month for 1500/768 ADSL, plus $10 extra for 4 more IPs. I'm far away from the CO, almost 11,000 feet away, so if I get 3mbps, I'll still be happy, although I would still like to keep my high upload speed.

I called and upgraded today, the techs that work at SBC and who post on the board basicly say with the 44.95 deal you get capped at the max your line can handle. I'm going to enjoy 6mbs and 608 upsteam.
Considering I dl 12 gigs a week they shall regret giving it to me =0

How long did they say it would take to turn on? They said mine would be 7 days, on the 10th. We will see if they cap it or not.

Keith

interesting...I may have to look into upgrading with that deal. I'm on SBC right now, paying $26.99/month for my service. Just ran it and I've got 1981/348. Have had it for 2 yrs, only been down twice, both for about an hour or so.

Originally posted by SB22
I think this because it's a fact. My old Enhanced DSL, that i've been getting for i dunno, 5 years or so, was $65+ a month for 1.5mbps/128kbps w/ 5 static IP's. Now with my new Comcast Cable, i recieve well over 3.0mbps/256kbps for $19.95/month for 4 months and then only $42.95 after that. I'd definatly say Comcast is a MUCH better deal.

Also, i know TONS of people who have switched over from SBC to Comcast, as well as i work for an onsite computer repair company, and only a few months ago, we saw about 80-90% of broadband users had SBC DSL, now's it's easily 50%-50% or even 60%-40% with Comcast taking over. At least in my area, MORE people are going with Comcast cable over SBC DSL because it's cheaper, faster, and you don't have to deal with contracts. I ordered my cable internet, and had a technicion here within 36 hours to remove the filter from the main box down the street. I'd say that's a lot better then waiting a few weeks or however long it takes to get the DSL companies to do anything.

Basically i think Comcast cable is a better value and less of a hastle then SBC's DSL services. Also, my outgoing e-mail was screwed up multiple times on SBC's end and tooks weeks to get repaird, only to do it again a few months later.

Yet no proof that is why they are lowering the prices. You said they were lowering the prices because of them losing so many customers.. No proof other than you see people who used to have it.. No solid proof, just hear-say.. Got ya!

90% of computer users dont dl as much as people on the [H]

Got online at home yesterday and noticed that SBC had already upped my speed. Since real life tends to get in the way of my home computing lately, I have no idea when they did turn it up.

But turn it up, they did! D/Ling from FilePlanet, I am getting 650 KBps. That's a big "B", or 5200 Kbps. I was getting 1200 Kbps before. Not bad for $5 a month. Also getting 608 on the U/L side.

It seems the speed test sites aren't really accurate when you start approaching the 5 mbit arena (that's what they say anyway). I was testing out to 4.5 mbit.

Nice to be able to D/L a 600 MB file in just 15 minutes. I always think back to my first 300 baud modem. To D/L that same file would have taken:

600x1024x1024x8 = 5033164800 bits
/ 300 bps = 1677216 seconds
/ 3600 sec/hr = 4660.33 hours
/ 24hr/d = 194.18 days

or just a little over half a year!!

(Factor of around 17750x, or nearly 5 hours to d/l what you can now in 1 second)

Keith

PS: I hope my math is correct (or at least close). Be gentle if it's not.

Originally posted by dropper
Got online at home yesterday and noticed that SBC had already upped my speed. Since real life tends to get in the way of my home computing lately, I have no idea when they did turn it up.

But turn it up, they did! D/Ling from FilePlanet, I am getting 650 KBps. That's a big "B", or 5200 Kbps. I was getting 1200 Kbps before. Not bad for $5 a month. Also getting 608 on the U/L side.

It seems the speed test sites aren't really accurate when you start approaching the 5 mbit arena (that's what they say anyway). I was testing out to 4.5 mbit.

Nice to be able to D/L a 600 MB file in just 15 minutes. I always think back to my first 300 baud modem. To D/L that same file would have taken:

600x1024x1024x8 = 5033164800 bits
/ 300 bps = 1677216 seconds
/ 3600 sec/hr = 4660.33 hours
/ 24hr/d = 194.18 days

or just a little over half a year!!

(Factor of around 17750x, or nearly 5 hours to d/l what you can now in 1 second)

Keith

PS: I hope my math is correct (or at least close). Be gentle if it's not.

Man, someone got real curious. That is amazing though how much speed is available to us all. :D

Been spending lots of time over at the SBC Forum at BBR. Most people are getiing at least 5000/500 and that's just since they got the upgrade. the spped should build over the next week or so.

I'm only 5500ft from the CO and hope to get 6000/600, but they dropped the ball with my order and I won't be live till tomorrow. SIGH!!! :(

The biggest problem with DSL speeds, is the line noise.. Most people have jacks all over their house. Well, all it takes is a loose connection or dirty contact, and you get line noise. It's not the noise you can always hear. Noise can cover a variety of of RF spectrum, so you can get terrible speeds, all because the DSL modem tries to hand shake, and it get's a lower peak signal with noise on it.
People forget, just because you have a direct line to you box, for your DSL modem, doesn't mean your living room phone won't mess up you line.. So it's a battle, that may not always be the phone company..

This argument (cable v DSL) is one that will go on and on.. I saw, which ever is easier for you and at a good price.. Location is key, and will change everything..

Well the upgrade went through last night. Current speeds are 4974 / 518. Hopefully that will improve over the next week or so, since I had to reboot my modem.

I live less than 1000 feet from the CO and I just called SBC and verified everything. Even though the web site says 3.0Mb/s it is really as high as 6.0 depending on your proximity to the CO. The tech I placed the order with says he is getting 5.0 at home and he is further away than I am.

So due to the holiday coming up, mine will not be activated until the 18th.

My dsl account is old. I've had it for so friggin long I can't even remember how long it was. Anways, I've been paying 49.95/mo for 1.5 down and 128 up. It was for my business and I just never got around to a price adjustment because any new plans always required me to give up my static ip or pay more.

But this deal is so dang good that it is worth giving up a static ip. I'll just see if my linksys router can keep it alive forever. :D

Good bet that your IP won't change under normal circumstances, especially with an always on router connected to it. Check you lease time, if you can (may have to bypass router to do it) and it will give you an indication of how non-static their IP's really are.

Keith

The biggest problem with DSL speeds, is the line noise.. Most people have jacks all over their house. Well, all it takes is a loose connection or dirty contact, and you get line noise. It's not the noise you can always hear. Noise can cover a variety of of RF spectrum, so you can get terrible speeds, all because the DSL modem tries to hand shake, and it get's a lower peak signal with noise on it.
So what's the solution? Using Stabilant 22 on the contacts to assure a good signal?

that will work for the connection, but make sure you have a good clean contact for the clean wire.. I think the biggest thing is that the wire usually has corrosion or insulation on it, and people still connect it.. Mostly because they hear a dial tone, so they think it's a good connection..

There is so many things you can do.. I've heard as much as the more phones you have hooked up the lower the signal. Every connection made is supposed to drop the signal 3db (or cut the signal strength in half). So trim the excess lines, and phones in your house. Do this at the ouside box or as soon as you can.. Don't keep the living room outlet "ready" for a phone if you don't use it. Disconnect that wire at the phone box.

Trimming your phone lines will enable you to get a much faster speed and will maintain that speed. Remember the modem handshakes all the time, so you speed can be dropped to make the connection more reliable.

I am 14,000ft from the nearest switch and I get 1.3/380, which they said I was too far for. So they tested my lines and they were clean enough, even though the "engineers said I was well past the 10,000ft limit). So there are things you can do..
Lastly, try talking to the DSL people, not the Telephone guys, the ISP (DSL people).. They will be able to help you out rather than the BS of someone who knows nothing on the speeds..

I just called and signed up for this deal. I asked to keep my static ip and was told no problem. So by the 18th I'll be saving 5 bucks a month (I too never wanted to give up my static ip) and at least 3x current speed. Never would have happend with out the [H].
Cool.

blah, I live 750ft too far from the CO for me to get this deal. They instead signed me up for the 1.5/284 deal for 10 bux cheaper....... I mite just cancel and go with comcast.

Comcast is 3.0/384 with standard cable TV for $51.99 a month, without any hidden contracts or fees.

Anybody have SBC yahoo? do you really get the 1.5 line like they promise you? I have been through many companies that only make promises but can never keep them.

Just in the last hour or so, they CAPPED me :(. I am running right at 3Mbs on fileplanet, when I was running at 5.2Mbps.

Let me know if this is happening to anyone else. If not, I will need to call them on it and ask why I am so special.

Keith

Sounds like your line kicked down.. Your speed does get kicked down if the line can't handle the speed.. Call them and they will bump it back up again.. But you should look into your phone lines in your house.. You may have alittle noise problem that keeps causing the speed to be bumped down..

Originally posted by EnforcerGT
blah, I live 750ft too far from the CO for me to get this deal. They instead signed me up for the 1.5/284 deal for 10 bux cheaper....... I mite just cancel and go with comcast.

Comcast is 3.0/384 with standard cable TV for $51.99 a month, without any hidden contracts or fees.

Anybody have SBC yahoo? do you really get the 1.5 line like they promise you? I have been through many companies that only make promises but can never keep them.
Well usually with that package they promise 768-1500 / 128- 256 depending on how far from the CO you are. I had that package previously before I upgraded, and my speed was 1188 / 218 with an average ping time of 53ms. I was 5541 ft form the CO.

So now my ping has dropped to 50ms and my speed on the new package are 4974 / 518. I'm hoping the speeds will go up a bit, but for $45 a month I'm happy.

The best thing about SBC IMO is the great customer service. I spend a lot of time over at Broadband Reports.com and they have an SBC Forum where several official SBC reps hang out for trouble shooing and business. As an example, when the new package came up I sent a PM to one of the people there to get upgraded. No time going through voice mail hell, waiting on hold, or trying to explain to someone at SBC about the new package.

By comparison Comcast customer support is generally acknowledged to be lousy and THEY have no offical support at BBR. Comcast also has "hidden" bandwidth caps, so if you D/L too much you might get your service suspended. SBC has no bandwidth caps, none. For more info or the Comcast problems see
this forum.

I cannot reccomend SBC highly enough. In this day and age of crappy cusotmer service, and companies that just DGAF, SBC shines.

Originally posted by dropper
Just in the last hour or so, they CAPPED me :(. I am running right at 3Mbs on fileplanet, when I was running at 5.2Mbps.

Let me know if this is happening to anyone else. If not, I will need to call them on it and ask why I am so special.

Keith
Go to BBR Tests and Tweaks run some speed tests and use the Tweaking Test to help tweak your DSL. You may have too high a RWIN or your MTU may be set wrong. They're plenty of FAQs over there and a Tweaking Forum.

EDIT: Check out this link to the SBC Forums at BBR. The frist post is from only me a SBCDSL Sales VIP. Note the packages are based on distance. You may bve too far from the CO/RT to get the full 6000 in a stable manner.

Expert Plus (1.5-3/384-608) $44.99 on going will not increase after 12 months*

*you may see higher speeds than 3.0 on your download however the speed tier is 1.5-3 and uploads will vary depending on whether your area has been upgraded"

Originally posted by qdemn7
Go to BBR Tests and Tweaks run some speed tests and use the Tweaking Test to help tweak your DSL. You may have too high a RWIN or your MTU may be set wrong. They're plenty of FAQs over there and a Tweaking Forum.

EDIT: Check out this link to the SBC Forums at BBR. The frist post is from only me a SBCDSL Sales VIP. Note the packages are based on distance. You may bve too far from the CO/RT to get the full 6000 in a stable manner.

Expert Plus (1.5-3/384-608) $44.99 on going will not increase after 12 months*

*you may see higher speeds than 3.0 on your download however the speed tier is 1.5-3 and uploads will vary depending on whether your area has been upgraded"

It's not the tweaks (I go to DSLreports all of the time, btw). I was getting nice a stable througput at 5.2MBps.

Your second suggestion is a bit more helpful. Checking out their message boards listed identical situations. I am on the phone right now with Tier 1 support trying to get to Tier2 to uncap my line.

I will update when I find out more.

Keith

hey qdemn, yea I know, SBC's customer service was far more better than I expected. I mite just go with SBC after all, and hopefully I can work something out.

I am such a dork.

The signs were there and I didn't pay attention. When I went to DSLreports for a speed test, I was getting 4Mbps, even though I thought my line was capped at 3, but I tossed that aside assuming that the test may be a bit inaccurate.

Then, while I am waiting on hold with India (they are transfering me to Tier 2), I decide to try a different D/L on FilePlanet.

Dammit.

There are at least 2 West Coast Servers, both named the exact same thing now. From the main West Coast server I was getting the 5.2Mbsp again. Retested on both and they both did the same thing. 5.2 and 3, so it's a server issue. Usually, people wouldn't see this type of thing, but I have rarely ever been faster than the server.

I had to eat a bit of crow with the lady at tier 2, but she was quite gracious and was happy that everything was okay.

There was a great tool out a while back, I think called NetMedic that helped diagnose these types of things. Maybe I should see if it's still around.

Keith

Im currently a SBC internet customer paying $45 dollars for the 768Kbps-1.5Mbps Down and 256Kbps Up which they either dotnt have the package anymore or they lowered the speed, here is my stats from the Megapath server in SJC, CA current_02_16_04.JPG and was able to get on this new deal on the Expert Plus Package (1.5Mbps-3.0Mbps Down and 384Kbps Up ). It should be activated on this coming Monday the 23rd all will tell you all how it goes. And thx to the Original Poster for posting this good deal.

Originally posted by qdemn7
Well usually with that package they promise 768-1500 / 128- 256 depending on how far from the CO you are. I had that package previously before I upgraded, and my speed was 1188 / 218 with an average ping time of 53ms. I was 5541 ft form the CO.

So now my ping has dropped to 50ms and my speed on the new package are 4974 / 518. I'm hoping the speeds will go up a bit, but for $45 a month I'm happy.

The best thing about SBC IMO is the great customer service. I spend a lot of time over at Broadband Reports.com and they have an SBC Forum where several official SBC reps hang out for trouble shooing and business. As an example, when the new package came up I sent a PM to one of the people there to get upgraded. No time going through voice mail hell, waiting on hold, or trying to explain to someone at SBC about the new package.

By comparison Comcast customer support is generally acknowledged to be lousy and THEY have no offical support at BBR. Comcast also has "hidden" bandwidth caps, so if you D/L too much you might get your service suspended. SBC has no bandwidth caps, none. For more info or the Comcast problems see
this forum.

I cannot reccomend SBC highly enough. In this day and age of crappy cusotmer service, and companies that just DGAF, SBC shines.

WRONG! Worst Customer Service....EVER [/simpsons]

I called them to ask to do a line test to see how much i can get for a connection upgrade from my current "standard package" to "expert plus" and i asked for a line test, each time i was transfered I had to say exscuse me about 10 times, and NONE of them could do this "line test" even though I was told they can.

However, I did decide to sign up for it, its a HUGE risk because of a 1 year contract, and if you dont like it, you can only DOWNGRADE and still be stuck with it for a year (although I would probably pay the 200$ to break the contract). I am 6000 feet from the place, and 7500 is the minimum...I can only hope that 6000 isnt like borderline shitty...I currently get 1.3 with standard...sooooo.... I better get 4.5 minimum :D..

But one last question....do they plan on moving the cap down to 3.0 mbit considering thats whats being advertised and thats what they are TELLING us, after march or w/e?

Back