SB51G:Watercooled.

jmattick

Limp Gawd
I decided to watercool my SB51G, with, of all things, the Thermaltake Aquarius II. $60 shipped on it wasn't a bad price, so I was happy.

My system consisted of:
Intel Celeron 2.2ghz
512MB PC2700
Gecube 9550XT Extreme Edition
Winfast TV2000 XP TV Tuner card
Benq 4x DVD+ Drive
30GB Western Digital
80GB Samsung

I wanted everything to stay for the majority stock. I wanted the drives in the drive cage, and everything. And I pulled it off. It required a bit of effort, and plenty of rerouting of tubing. But done.

The only real problem I encountered was the drive cage. I couldn't get it in after everything was ran. The key to getting everything in is to remove the DVD drive from the drive cage, and only plug in the bottom HD at first. Then, when you have the drive cage in and bolted down, plug in the top HD, and then slide the DVD drive through the hole in the front for it, and plug it in. It sucked, but it's done.

Alright, here are the pictures.

Picture #1. The victim. Here she is all closed up. Not a hint of watercooling anywhere.
thevictim.jpg

Picture #2: Rear view. Oooh, you can see the radiator through the Vantec Stealth 80mm fan. Yeah, I know about the open PCI slot. I had put everything together, stuck the top back on, and said Shit! I forgot something. Oh well, it was just my tv card that I use in a blue moon. Maybe when I want to use it again, I'll put it back
rear.jpg

Picture #3: The top is off. This is an above view, showing exactly how much I had to work with after the DVD+R drive is in.
open.jpg

Picture #4: Side shot. Ahh, yes, the video card. I know it is only a 9550XT Extreme Edition, but now it puts out over 9600XT speeds. ;)
side.jpg

Picture #5: The other side. Not much to see here, besides the power supply. I thought I'd cover all angles tho.
side1.jpg

Picture #6: A close up on the tee and memory. I don't know why, I just like this shot.
closeupt.jpg

Picture #7:A close up of the radiator and reservoir. This was pretty much the only place I could stick the res other than the drive cage, where it fit perfedctly. This way, I still get airflow through the radiator, and I can have 2 hard drives.
closeupradandres.jpg

You'll never understand the amount of fear a person has when they have to plug in the system and run it for the first time after placing it into the system. I swear I almost had a heart attack. And I also had my eyes playing tricks on me, when you have tubing, and the water starts to flow through it, it makes shadows of water droplets, that freak ya out..

A job well done. For now. Unless it starts leaking for some odd reason. Which I hope it doesn't. Hope.

Man you really need to get rid of those huge airbubbles in the tubes. They are hurting your temps. I see two pics with those airbubbles.

Fanatik said:
Man you really need to get rid of those huge airbubbles in the tubes. They are hurting your temps. I see two pics with those airbubbles.

You see those airbubbles because the system is off, and gravity has done it's work. They disappear as soon as the system comes on. They get purged into the loop where the backup reciever should be.

wow you crammed alot into your shuttle. nice work!

i have always wanted to try water cooling, but i dont thing my current rig (shuttle) would be the place for a first timer after seeing the amount of work you had to do to get everything in there.

jmattick said:
You see those airbubbles because the system is off, and gravity has done it's work. They disappear as soon as the system comes on. They get purged into the loop where the backup reciever should be.

Thats why you need to put the res higher than everything else so this wont happen. If you dont have a res fill it with the t-line until the whole unit is filled. Leave no air bubbles at all. I know its hard and time consuming but its worht it. Belive thats not good having that.

wow very nice. could you give us some technical details? what radiator/waterblock(s)/pump/tubing did you use?

Its a kit. Koolance. The reservoir and pump are in the same housing. You can see it in one of the pics.

Fanatik said:
Its a kit. Koolance. The reservoir and pump are in the same housing. You can see it in one of the pics.

Not Koolance.
It's the Thermaltake Aquarius II kit.

Everything except for the VGA waterblock is from the stock Thermaltake kit.

If you are looking for the pump/res, look very closely at the last picture (#7). If you see the blue plastic, you are looking at the combination of the pump and reservoir.

As for tubing, I didn't use the crap in the box. I went down to the local farm supply store and bought some thick wall vinyl tubing. Sure, it's not the greatest, but I'm just looking for the functionality for now. Slowly, I will upgrade the components.

compslckr said:
wow you crammed alot into your shuttle. nice work!

i have always wanted to try water cooling, but i dont thing my current rig (shuttle) would be the place for a first timer after seeing the amount of work you had to do to get everything in there.
Just so you know, this was the first time I ever touched a watercooling kit. All my systems have always been stock cooling and everything. As long as you understand how the kit works, the only thing you have to worry about is leaks. And, yeah, I did my fair share of worrying. :p

you should have gone custom... i was gonna go TTA2, but now, custom, much better for temps...

oh well, looks nice...

hey to the ppl from SFFtech! i was here before there tho...

jaxx said:
you should have gone custom... i was gonna go TTA2, but now, custom, much better for temps...

oh well, looks nice...

hey to the ppl from SFFtech! i was here before there tho...
I'll be custom before long.

looks great.....made me take a second glance at my little shuttle case i have sittin still in the box. :)

thats a trully [H]ard job, ill have a dual 120mm rad, pump, CPU & VID block all internal in my antec aria just need to find some money

Back