• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SB X-Fi Settings help

Verown

n00b
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
48
i just build my new computer and everything is running great, problem im having is theres a lot of settings with the new sb x-fi Xtreme Music Card that i'm not familiar with and my sound doesn't seem right...

My sound seems a bit muffled almost like EAX mode is one with a low quality game, It's like when someone is trying to talk to you when you have a really thick pair of headphones on. I am using sony dynamic stereo mdr-v600 headphones and don't know what the problem is. i'm not really sure what settings to toy with.

the 24-bit crystallizer
any of the dolby digital decoder settings
the CMSS 3d headphone settings
SVM on, or off
and if EAX should be on or off.

Might be pretty noob question's but i've never had a serious soundcard like this.
 
the 24-bit crystallizer: keep this on at all times, it adds more punchier sound, and if ure having muffled sound ull deff want this on
any of the dolby digital decoder settings: nothing to do with most games, movies only
the CMSS 3d headphone settings: turn this on or off depending on what u like, try both on and off
SVM on, or off: Always keep this on as it reduces differences between low and high sounds
and if EAX should be on or off.: WHat do you think?

Also make sure u switch modes for gaming/music/audio recording

also make sure ure volume is upto a decent level and make sure ure headphones are plugged directly into ure soundcard, and get some nice headphones ( i dont really know if those phones are nice or not)
 
I have everything off. CMSS3D really makes everything sound muffled, and I don't like SVM either, I like to have a nice dynamic range in my music. If you want it to sound good, turn EAX, CMSS3D, and SVM off. The crystalizer is fun to play with, but I dislike EQ, so I don't use that either.

edit, it's to late at night. I typed eac instead of eax :p.
 
I use

EAX Disabled
CMSS Disabled
24-Bit Enabled - 35%
SVM Enabled
EQ Disabled
Main Volume 85%
Wave Volume 85%
Bass 60%
Treble 80%

CMSS just sounds muddy. I like that SVM cleans up the distortion in heavier / louder music that I listen to but I did notice that it introduces a low hiss when the music is stopped.
 
With the MDR-V6 headphones I use these settings:

X-Fi mode - Music:

EAX Off
CMSS Off
EQ Off
Crystallizer Off - I think it adds a bassy harsh sound not so good with headphones.


X-Fi mode - Games:

EAX Enabled @ minus 4 DB
CMSS - Enable CMSS 3-D Headphone w/ MacroFX and Elevation Filter on Auto.
EQ Off
Crystallizer Off - You should toy with crystallizer settings, depending on the game, some games it helps, some not so much.


These settings seem pretty good with my headphones. I have noticed the other non-CL sound cards I have, as well as the onboard 24 bit Realtek, sound a little different, they have a little more hiss (lower S/N ratio) and dont sound as clean - but they seem have a better midrange smoothness. I will say the card with the via vinyl sound chip probably sounds the best overall for music. (I'd probably use a via vinyl sound card if they made one with decent EAX and hardware acellerated 3D.)
 
Back
Top