SB mobo/cpu/systems pulled

In case you are wondering why Sandy Bridge components are no longer available here is why.

Nutshell: Faulty chip on the all SB mobos that causes problems with SATA performance.

SB CPU's are fine but they are being pulled from retailers too.

I was about to pull the trigger today on a 2600k and mobo combo @ newegg but no joy. Bah! :rolleyes:

im pretty sure we all know this info already but thanks.

im glad i pulled the trigger when i did. My brother waited and no he wishes he would of pulled the trigger too when i did.

Last edited:
Looks like most mobo makers won't even have replacement stock until middle of March or First of April. Crazy. I wish I would have jumped on things a little quicker as well.

It only affects the 3Gb SATA ports if something should happen... If you only use the 6Gb ports you're fine.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4146/gigabyte-announces-6series-motherboard-replacement-program

Just half an hour ago, Gigabyte sent its replacement strategy for all of its own motherboards.

The key messages are as follows:
1) Gigabyte has stopped shipment to and recalled any unsold 6-series B2 motherboards from distributors and dealers.

2) Any Gigabyte 6-series B2 motherboards that have already been sold will be accepted back for replacement with a B3 board, regardless of condition. I asked Gigabyte if this meant that non-working boards could also be returned, Gigabyte said yes - all eligible 6-series models with B2 stepping chipsets will be accepted back.

Elligible Gigabyte 6-series Motherboards
GA-P67A-UD3 GA-P67A-UD3P GA-P67A-UD4 GA-P67A-UD5 GA-P67A-UD7
GA-H67MA-D2H GA-H67MA-UD2H GA-H67A-UD3H GA-H67M-D2 GA-H67M-UD2H

3) Gigabyte says that it should have 6-series B3 chipsets in April.

4) The replacement program will happen at the dealer/distributor level. You will have to exchange your board at the location you purchased it from.

5) Customers can either exchange their board (you'll have to wait until April for this to happen) or you can get a full refund sooner (immediately?). Gigabyte recommends going the refund route as that gives you more flexibility for what you want to do next.

6) The replacement board you get will be a brand new motherboard based on the B3 chipset. Gigabyte isn’t ready to disclose if there will be any new design features to these boards as well.

7) The cost of the product exchange will be handled by Intel and Gigabyte (presumably Intel is footing the entire bill).

April is two months away, that’s later than the end of February. I’m guessing the first recipients of B3 stepping chipsets will be large OEMs and notebook manufacturers. The component guys will likely come second. Getting replacement motherboards won’t happen on April 1st if that’s when Gigabyte gets chipsets either. This could end up being an April/May thing instead of March/April.

Kudos to GB for taking initiative here, I haven't heard of any other MB manufacturers speaking out on a replacement plan (yet). That being said, I'm surprised they're yanking everything off shelves. The boards still function, and replacements won't be available for months. By the time SATA3 degradation happens, there should already be replacements available. I would assume most retail chains have already yanked 95% of the LGA1156 product off shelves, so what are they going to do, have bare shelves other than X58/1366 for anyone shopping for Intel? That's not a good decision IMHO. They'd be better off putting some notices up, say they'll sell the stuff, buyer beware etc., replacements are on the way.

They are pulling them because a class action lawsuit a year from now will cost more.

Willfuly selling a defective product..... a judge would rip them a new one.

It really isn't a bad deal if you already have one. It's going to keep working for two more months then you get a replacement. It's weird that gigabyte recommends getting a refund. Wouldn't that cost them more?

It really isn't a bad deal if you already have one. It's going to keep working for two more months then you get a replacement. It's weird that gigabyte recommends getting a refund. Wouldn't that cost them more?

It won't cost GB, asus or any other m/b maker a penny. All costs incurred go straight back to intel.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4146/gigabyte-announces-6series-motherboard-replacement-program

Kudos to GB for taking initiative here, I haven't heard of any other MB manufacturers speaking out on a replacement plan (yet). That being said, I'm surprised they're yanking everything off shelves. The boards still function, and replacements won't be available for months. By the time SATA3 degradation happens, there should already be replacements available. I would assume most retail chains have already yanked 95% of the LGA1156 product off shelves, so what are they going to do, have bare shelves other than X58/1366 for anyone shopping for Intel? That's not a good decision IMHO. They'd be better off putting some notices up, say they'll sell the stuff, buyer beware etc., replacements are on the way.

Asus have responded too. S/B returns

They are pulling them because a class action lawsuit a year from now will cost more.

Willfuly selling a defective product..... a judge would rip them a new one.

So how are Microsoft and Adobe allowed to trade on, year after year? ;)

I am glad i bought that Revodrive thing from FS/T, and even better that the sandy bridge was the lucky recipient :).
Now ill just wait till that dies and then forget about this recall by then, and wonder why i cant use a hard drive.

Back