SB Audigy Windows Logon Sound

Sysjack

Limp Gawd
I'm setting up my new SATA drive, and since I couldn't ghost a premade image onto it, I had to do it all again manually. The problem is with my Sound Blaster Audigy software. Creative has this sound they play at windows logon, but I can't find the way to turn it off. I've done it before, but it was more like, "Hmm, I seem to have done something that made it go away" than really knowing how to do it. Now I've been puzzling over it for a while and I need help silencing this thing again.

Alright, after much fooling around in the registry I have discovered that CTHelper.exe makes that horrible startup sound happen with your Creative sound cards. Kill that and you kill the noise. It's in MSconfig or HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run

I would KILL every startup app and service that Creative forces to load. You don't need them, and I believe one of them will phone home to try if you don't register your card.

I would suggest removing all of the bundled Creative apps and just using the latest drivers for your card instead. I don't find any use for their apps, and the card works great without them - and no annoying startup apps. :)

c:\program files\creative\program\eax.avi (i cannot remember the ext, but it is the only media file that is in this folder and is named eax) delete this.

even if you do a custom install and only allow what is needed, audio hq, and surround mixer, this will still be installed. after deleting the file it will not play the eax movie anymore.

One of the apps that loads at startup has a box in the lower right with the Creative logo. On that box, is a check box, to load at startup. Uncheck it.

djnes said:
One of the apps that loads at startup has a box in the lower right with the Creative logo. On that box, is a check box, to load at startup. Uncheck it.

That was about the first thing I did, it didn't help. I fixed it by disabling cthelper from starting up, and then I deleted it's registry entry from the run folder so it'd go away and never return.

Sysjack said:
That was about the first thing I did, it didn't help. I fixed it by disabling cthelper from starting up, and then I deleted it's registry entry from the run folder so it'd go away and never return.

Interesting, because that's how I always disable it.

Back