SB 2500k on a Asus P8P67

I just picked up the Microcenter bundle of a Intel iCore5 2500K and Asus P8P67 motherboard on Sunday.

I have been building computers since the 386 days and this was the first time I actually thought that I was going to break something closing the CPU socket retention device. Otherwise things went pretty uneventful. I used a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ instead of the stock cooler with some Artic Cooler 5 compound.

First impressions of the EFI BIOS on the Asus P8P67 is that I don't like it. Will take some time to get used to. Once you are happy with the setup how many times do you go back into the BIOS?

Running some Mushkin SIlverline 1333Mhz DDR3. Been playing with overclocking. Right now I'm at 4.7Ghz (100Mhz x 47 multi) default cpu voltage. Voltage goes from around 1V at 1600Mhz to about 1.416v at 4.7Ghz. Just using default auto voltage on the Asus motherboard. Been running Orthos for about 2 hours now with temps around 68 degrees C. Asus Probe report 1600 RPM CPU fan. CPUID is not detecting CPU fan speed correctly.

Pic was taken at about 45 minutes in will report back tomorrow.

2500k.jpg

Compare my Cinebench score to my E8400 running 4.07GHz

9x450Mhz (900MHz DDR2) shown at the bottom of the list. lol

2500k_cine.jpg

when you run 2 instances of orthos. open your windows task manager and check the process. are all 4 cores under load?

Update: nevermind.

Last edited:
I wish that boards had a setting for default vcore and a setting for "auto" vcore. The only way to get default vcore is to manually set it depending on your processor's vid.

nice clocks though! I'd be very well happy with 4.7ghz and 1.4v.

My old setup was a E8400 OC to 4.07Ghz on a Asus P5Q Pro mb and Corsair 2x2GB DDR2 PC8500 ram. New Setup Icore 5 2500K OC to 4.7Ghz and a Asus P8P67 mb and Mushkin Silverline 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz. ram. There might be a few people out there with a good Core2Duo wondering what kind of performance upgrade they can get. All benchmarks ran on Vista Business 32 bit w/SP2.

Here is something I found very interesting and concerning as well. Intel rates the 45nm C2D E8400 as a 65W TDP chip and the Icore 5 2500K as a 95W TDP chip.

CPUID HWmonitor 1.17.1 shows the following CPU power used as follows:
Orthos small FFTs E8400 46.2W and the 2500K 94.7W.
IntelBurnTest 2.5 E8400 57W and the 2500K 96.1W.

As you can see, I am already at the max power the chip is rated for. How much power can these 32nm chips really handle?

Here is my benchmarks so far:

bench.jpg

Man, @"I have been building computers since the 386 days and this was the first time I actually thought that I was going to break something closing the CPU socket retention device"

haha same thing I was thinking.

If it's not too much of a bother, could you pop on the stock HSF and run orthos for 2 mins and tell me what temps your getting? I have the same proc / mobo bundle you have but I use stock HSF and my temps are through the roof after 1 min (87c). Was thinking about taking my cpu and mobo back for a exchange because these temps just don't seem right. If your temps are roughly the same then I can just go pick up a h 212 since I heard those are pretty decent budget coolers.

I thought 1.4 was kinda high for these chips? Curious because I'm about to recieve the same parts.

Man, @"I have been building computers since the 386 days and this was the first time I actually thought that I was going to break something closing the CPU socket retention device"

haha same thing I was thinking.

If it's not too much of a bother, could you pop on the stock HSF and run orthos for 2 mins and tell me what temps your getting? I have the same proc / mobo bundle you have but I use stock HSF and my temps are through the roof after 1 min (87c). Was thinking about taking my cpu and mobo back for a exchange because these temps just don't seem right. If your temps are roughly the same then I can just go pick up a h 212 since I heard those are pretty decent budget coolers.

My 2500K at stock settings with the stock cooler maxes in the mid 70s at full load, FWIW

did you change any other settings/ voltages jerrytbirdsc? i am stuck at 4.2 with my 2500k and p8p67 pro.

I'm afraid it's too much trouble as the 212+ has it's own retention plate that bolts to the motherboard first. I wouldn't use this factory HSF on a Core2Duo Overclock. I purchased the CM 212+ for like $16.99 on Black Friday, they are only $29.99 everyday at Microcenter.

One thing the Asus board was doing was running my the fan for the 212+ at 1388 rpm under full load. I manually made a fan profile with the Asus Suite FanXpert so that under load I was getting 100% fan speed of 1850rpm.

Might want to check your fan speed.

did you change any other settings/ voltages jerrytbirdsc? i am stuck at 4.2 with my 2500k and p8p67 pro.

Here are some of the UEFI BIOS
AI Tweaker

under CPU Power Management:

CPU ratio 33
Intel Speedstep enabled
Turbo mode enabled
Turbo Ratio Max Turbo Ratio setting in BIOS
Turbo ratio for each core set at 47
everything else on the page set to Auto

Load Line calibration set to Auto
VRM Auto
VRM Spread Spectrum Auto
Phase control Standard
Duty Control T. Probe
CPU current 100%
CPU voltage 1.328v Offset Mode
+
Auto
Dram Voltage 1.5v
everything else set to Auto.

Here's mine:

I don't think I'll raise the voltage any higher than this. It's set at 1.390 in the bios.

Last edited:
Hi
I read in few Sandy Bridge official information that on ram working only at 1333MHz we couldn't overclock this platform. But here I see that you (user jerrytbirdsc) used 1333MHz ram and overclocked this processors up to 4.7GHz.

My question is that this revelation about ram 1333Mhz was a fake?

I would like to know because my P8P67 & i7-2600K are just going to me, but I have only 1333MHz ram and it's overclocked to max 1400Mhz. - It's enough to overclock this platform to 4,6GHz?

Sorry for my English and thank for reply information :)

The ram isn't a limiting factor anymore because overclocking on sandybridge doesn't really involve the base clock.

well i found out what i was doing wrong. i was using "CPU ratio" to push a high multi to OC and not the turbo ratio. i was able to get 44x but not 45x. not quite good as jerrytbirdsc but i made some headway. thanks man. helped me figure out what i was doing wrong.

so i was watching the newegg video that everyone has been ranting about and setting up an over clock with my 2500k and p8p67 mobo, however, my Ai Tweaker seems to be different from the one the guy uses in the video, would the EFI Bios Utility for a normal p8p67 be different from the one in a p8p67 pro?

so i was watching the newegg video that everyone has been ranting about and setting up an over clock with my 2500k and p8p67 mobo, however, my Ai Tweaker seems to be different from the one the guy uses in the video, would the EFI Bios Utility for a normal p8p67 be different from the one in a p8p67 pro? under CPU Manual Voltage it just says Auto even though I have the CPU Voltage set to Manual Mode.

what bios version are you running? The one in that video is probably older or custom dev build. My P8P67 shipped with 0407 bios or something, but there's a 1053 one the asus website which I updated to.

what bios version are you running? The one in that video is probably older or custom dev build. My P8P67 shipped with 0407 bios or something, but there's a 1053 one the asus website which I updated to.

mines 0402, I'll go get the most recent and then try to reference with the video again, thanks for pointing that out

*update

Updated to 1053, bios functioned as expected.

Figured I'd replicate the video OC @ 4.8 w/ 1.4v, no problem (i just wanted to see). Now I'm OC 4.4 w/ 1.3v, core temps range from 45-53C via corsair A70, running prime95

This is my first OC, kinda fun :) How long should I run prime 95? If it runs for a few hours stable, I guess increase multiplier a little, hold voltage steady and run it again for a few more? From here should my goal be to raise multiplier while lowering voltage and stop just before instability?

Last edited:
Coretemp 0.99.8 seems to read about 2-3 degrees higher per core than HWMonitor 1.17.0, its also reporting higher CPU voltage (1.356 vs 1.296), anyone know which is more accurate?

Here's mine:

I don't think I'll raise the voltage any higher than this. It's set at 1.390 in the bios.

You are basically identical to me. CPUID reports about 4.16v for me. Do you have your cpu voltage set to manual or offset mode?
I also see that under load HWMonitor is reporting 94Watts of CPU power. Intel only rates these chips to 95W, which is one reason I haven't tried to push it higher.

Update.

All of the previous posts were with BIOS 0402. I have now updated to 1053 beta. With guidance from the post by JJ (Asus rep) here. I have been able to run Win7 64bit edition at 4.8 and 4.9GHz. Basically the more voltage the more megahertz. I have PLL voltage enabled, DRM Freq set to 350, Phase control to extreme, duty cycle set to extreme and turbo mulitplier set for OS control.

With cpu voltage set to Offset + and Auto. With a 48 multiplier, cpu voltage under load was 1.57v as seen in this pic. Also cpu was at 101 watts.

4800mhzauto.jpg

When I changed to a 49 multiplier, voltage ramped to over 1.63 volts. I quickly turned off stress test and tried a manual voltage of 1.45v. This allowed me to get into windows and start intel stress test but after about three runs it blue screened. At this time I don't feel like exceeding 1.45v for everyday use.

So for the immediate future I am running at 4.8Ghz with auto voltage + offset of .05V for a CPU voltage under load of around 1.425v.

4800offset05.jpg

I think this is where I will stay for awhile.

Back