Saving Gamecube games on Wii

FoolOnTheHill

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the possibility of saving GC savegames onto the Wii's internal memory or an SD card. I never owned a gamecube, so I don't have any memory cards for it, but I'd like to be able to save my Smash Bros. data on it.

Thanks

*sigh* :(

Thanks for the speedy reply, though. Has anyone heard about the possibility of it happening in a future patch?

Looks like I'll need to break down and get one anyway, though. What size is good enough?

Shash bro's is a pretty big save game (26 slots I believe...but don't quote me on that as it's been probably 2 1/2 years since I've palyed it). I'd hit around the 256 size (I think that's it) in case there are other games you wish to save.

I found a used 256 memory card for $4 on ebay about 2 years ago or so, they're pretty easy to come by.

Smash Bros. is 10/11 slots, easily fits on the smallest sized card (59 blocks).

Are there any superlarge games to worry about? I have a lot of GC catching up to do. I want to play Windwaker, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Paper Mario and Mario Sunshine, among others...

The backwards compatibility is a huge thing for people like me without Gamecubes. I'm loving it.

Hrm, I know one of my games was 26 slots, thought it was Smash Bro's. Nvm though.

With all those games though I'd go with the 251 size (thought it was 256, I was wrong). Make sure you get Nintendo brand...I tend not to trust the others.

A few other GC games I'd suggest for ya:
Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe
The entire Prince of Persia series

So...for example, if I wanted to play RE4 on the Wii, can I input my GC memory card into the Wii and use my old save? Do future saves go back on that card, or to some time of internal storage?
I'm thinking of getting a Wii in a month or two (once the component cables are a little more common, too) and figure I'd like to continue playing RE4. I've won it 4 times and keep going back :)

FoolOnTheHill said:
Are there any superlarge games to worry about? I have a lot of GC catching up to do. I want to play Windwaker, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Paper Mario and Mario Sunshine, among others...

The backwards compatibility is a huge thing for people like me without Gamecubes. I'm loving it.
Harvest Moon takes up a lot of blocks. However, it doesnt make it onto a lot of people's "must play!" lists. :D Anyway... back when I picked it up, I just decided to get one of the 1019 block cards to be done with it. I then used my smaller one for import saves.

Domingo said:
So...for example, if I wanted to play RE4 on the Wii, can I input my GC memory card into the Wii and use my old save? Do future saves go back on that card, or to some time of internal storage?
I'm thinking of getting a Wii in a month or two (once the component cables are a little more common, too) and figure I'd like to continue playing RE4. I've won it 4 times and keep going back :)

As far as I know (and everything I've read confirms this), Gamecube games must use Gamecube memory cards, and yes, the Wii does load from GCN memory cards when you play Gamecube games, so continue playing your RE4.

Internal storage/SD cards are for Wii games.

The 251 block card is enough for most Gamecube gamers with large libraries, the 1000 block Gamecube card is overkill I think, but it's I think $25 and would definitely be the only thing you need. Animal crossing is probably one of the largest, takes up about 53 blocks.

when i bought my Cube on ebay it came with one of those no name brand 1000 block cards and its HUGE It sticks out of the top and i a real eyesore so i really hope they let me transfer my saved games to SD soon.

Thanks for all the great responses. Yeah, I forgot to mention RE4 and Viewtiful Joe. When I was standing in line at Wal-Mart, a bunch of people were singing the praises of VJ and telling me about it. It sounds like a blast. The Prince of Persia games also looked good to me.

So yeah, while some may be disappointed about some of the launch titles, I'm basically gaining a whole new product line. :D

Honestly I would buy an SD card adapter. They are about $10-15 bucks, and you would probably never fill even a 32MB. I know I have a couple just laying around, and thats what i plan to use.

VJ and RE4 are must plays IMO. So does the GC controller plug into the WII for old GC games?

BossTweed said:
VJ and RE4 are must plays IMO. So does the GC controller plug into the WII for old GC games?

Yep. There's a flap that you can flip open that reveals the Gamecube controller ports.

Back