save the packaging or binders?

G'ßöö

[H]ard|Gawd
since we so many pics of ppl's vast collections, was wondering what would be the % of you that have saved all their game boxes VS those who don't and use binders

I toss...dvd/cd cases too. I find it funny how so many have dedicated so much room for them in their homes for this stuff. what an eye sore ....maybe they don't move as much as I seem to

i just chuck all my manuals/boxes/case material into a bag or in my bookshelf.... really saves hassels in th long run *caugh caugh* cd keys ;)

If you ever want to sell your used games or software, they will be worth more in the eye of a prospective buyer if you can include the original packaging and stuff. :)

Lethal said:
If you ever want to sell your used games or software, they will be worth more in the eye of a prospective buyer if you can include the original packaging and stuff. :)

QFT. Unless I can't find it ANYWHERE else, I won't buy a used game that doesn't come with original packaging and all.

I don't throw away anything.

General Crespin said:
I don't throw away anything.
I don't either. It's a shame cases they can't be compacted in some way. Merger with Rubbermaid? I've kind of switched on and off between jewel cases and binders. I think jewel cases are nicer for browsing titles, but binders are definitely more space efficient. Just hard to find good ones that hold a lot and have clear sleeves that don't feel cheap. I like the more felt-like ones, but they tend to cover up almost the entire disc.

Any recommendations? I've been looking for good binders to sway me.

Now that the boxes have gotten smaller I usually keep them. A few years ago I went through and tossed most of the game boxes that were large in size and just put the manuals and CDs all in a box. More recently I've begun putting them in binders.

As far as value goes, PC games don't hold up as well as console games. Some rare or "limited edition" PC games might be worth a lot to collectors, and I think you'd still get a lot for it without the box that it came in.

if i sell games it is usually with the entire rig, i throw em in as freebies more or less cause i dont play em anymore.

binders are the way to go!

What I do is cut the CD key off of the box/CD Sleeve and tape it to the binder sleeve where I put the CD. I generally keep games long enough that by the time anyone would buy it it wouldn't cost much anyway so it's s mute point - except brand new or newer games. I still have full boxed for Oblivion, FEAR, and a few others.

that's funny because just the other day i decided to ditch all my boxes. Quite the project Ive already spent $20 on binders and pages . All i could find were the lame Case logic pages though and they stick out too far from the bindr.

I just reused the older case logic and Traveler brand CD binders that I long abandoned for MP3 player storage. You can get cheap but very good CD Binders at Big Lots for about $5-10.00.

I toss everything but the disc and throw it into a binder and record the serial # into an excel file. I do keep the box for a few weeks to be sure of no defects that may require a return or something.

I used to keep everything but one day I just went through and cleaned it all up. What once took an entire bookcase now takes one 208 disc binder.

Same thing with DVDs and anything else I buy.

I tend to keep all my stuff. I've become a collector and I like having the boxes. I'm not going to get rid of my larger PC game boxes since most of them are from older Lucasarts Adventure games like Full Throttle, Sam and Max, and The Dig. I don't want to get rid of those boxes.

I use binders, but I save my boxes to display them on the wall or on shelves. I like eye candy. :)

I use the CD/DVD cases. I have them in a neat stack. It's easier to see them, plus I don't have to mess around with a binder (they scare me anyway).

Boxes get tossed, unless the CDs come in paper cases, and the box is small.

I used to throw out everything, but now I've found a way to store them so I generally keep everything.

Wow, everyone seems to throw out the boxes. That's funny, because between me and my friends (and my "non-friends" whose homes I've seen), we all generally try to keep the boxes. It's not a pissing contest on who has the biggest collection, but instead for worth. I paid $30-$80 for the damned thing, and I damned better well have a box to show for it.

A game's collection isnt a game collection without boxes.

boxes FTW...

Since Wal-Mart has pretty much forced the switch from massive cardboard boxes to DVD-style cases, I'm keeping the packaging for my PC games. Half the time the manual or the case has the license key on it, so I just keep everything in its original package. Since they're all a single uniform size now it's easy to keep everything neat.

It helps that I'm not a consumer whore and don't buy every game on the market; I only get games I really want and know I will get a lot of play time out of. I've got all of a foot of shelf space devoted to games, plus a CD rack on my wall that's nowhere near full.

I keep them if they come in the DVD style cases, but throw away the cardboard boxes. I always keep them in their cases though and don't use binders.

I usually keep my boxes, although I will use a binder if they only come with the cheapo paper cases.

I stopped keeping my boxes when they outgrew the two shelves they occupied. And my experience was that there was no standardization of box sizes or shapes. This made it difficult to manage.

I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort to keep two dozen boxes, especially since I never intend on selling the games. Bought a locking CD case (for the look not the lock) and a razor to cut out the CD keys. Been nice having those two shelves for other computer related stuff.

I save e v e r y t h i n g!!!!!! love it :D i have every manual to every atari/coleco game i ever had, its so funny looking through that stuff, so i'll appreciate the things I'm keeping now when I'm a bored and retired old fart with nothing to do but reminise about my old gaming days :p

I throw them away if they are cardboard. I have held on to the plastic cases but they are too big. Glad to see that new games are coming in DVD cases. They are a lot smaller like console games.

I used to keep everything, then about 6 month ago finally realized that 1)what's the point, 2)They take up a ton of space. So, I purged everything except for the ones with sentimental value (System Shock 1&2, Fallout 1&2, Wing commander series, classic lucas and sierra adventure games, etc...). I still have the booklets and such for all the others, but have freed up a ton of shelf space by purging dozens and dozens of boxes.

boxes i throw,i do keep cd/dvd covers tho,you never know when you wanna go back to a game,and if i dont keep the games in thier cases i prolly wont find em again:)

I put the box on my bookshelf and the DVD/CD in a binder. I also keep the CDKEYs in an Excel file on my machine.

i keep my boxes and other packages tucked away in my closet, but i keep my game disks in a cd binder. It's convenient and will save me in the long run.

I don't keep the boxes... unless they are the small dvd like case. I have several binders for software... It's kind of nice to have one for games, one for apps, one small one for os... one for drivers, backups, etc.

I use to save box and all. Started to take up way to much space. I only keep cases now.

those who keep must not move ...I never sell so its pointless. CHUCK! =)

Back