Satellites To Use Kinect To Dock in Space

HardOCP News

[H] News
Satellites that use Microsoft's Kinect to dock in space? You know, the list of things the Kinect can be used for (non-game related) is pretty damn impressive.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 sensor Kinect is about to cross the final frontier. Engineers in Surrey are developing a pair of satellites that can dock together, in-orbit, using a system based upon Kinect technology.

They should have used the PC version.... but I have a feeling MS wanted to market the "360" part of the story...

Kinect is the most sucessful game controller that for the most part sucks for gaming.

NASA probably isn't actually going to use the Kinect. What they're probably going to do is ducktape some Kinects on the outside, cut the USB cords, interloop wires, and connect them to a picture of a cat strapped to a slice of buttered toast.

And then in reality, NASA will use their own hardware and not the Kinect. The Kinect is just for advertisement, really, doesn't actually have a function.

NASA probably isn't actually going to use the Kinect. What they're probably going to do is ducktape some Kinects on the outside, cut the USB cords, interloop wires, and connect them to a picture of a cat strapped to a slice of buttered toast.

And then in reality, NASA will use their own hardware and not the Kinect. The Kinect is just for advertisement, really, doesn't actually have a function.
Where does it say "NASA"? This has no connection with them. This is a UK project. On the cheap. We don't have the spare dollars to burn like you guys. :D

And you may want to copyright your cat-drive before someone nicks it.... My question though is - what happens in zero gravity? Does the cat-toast drive still have the same power when the definition of "Up" is confused?

lol, what a tool you are.

You didnt even read the article, its not NASA.

So, you could say that the satellites will make a kinection in space.

You heard it here first.

lol, what a tool you are.

You didnt even read the article, its not NASA.
lol realized that immediately after I made the post. I was like, "wait.. I don't remember seeing anything about NASA. *scrolls up and checks* *epic rage*"

Keeping in mind they couldn't just strap a kinect to the space craft. Notice the sentence saying they will borrow components from the kinect.

I remember someone asking me once if I thought an Atari 2600 could be used to pilot and control a real spacecraft. This was in 1981 (For the record, I said yes.). So now, over 30 years later, they're going to use video game tech for actual docking in space. What took them so long?

Back