Satellite 3005-S307 rejuvination!!

oymd

Weaksauce
Aloha to all!!

I have a Toshiba Satellite 3005-S307. It has NO USB 2.0, only 1.1, however there is onboard firewire.

Recently I recieved as a gift an External hardrive that is USB 2.0.

If I purchase a PCMCIA card adapter to USB2.0 will I have the SAME performance as a new laptop with BUILT IN USB 2.0??

Too bad the external drive has no firewire!!

Here's something I'm looking at:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=151

Is it any good??

And by the way...I want to increase performance by any means
1-If I buy a 7200rpm HD, will I notice an improvement in performance?? Will ANY model do..or is there a specific onefor each laptop??
2-In the manual it says MAXIMUM 512 ram is supported, is there a way through BIOS to increase this??

PS...No gaming will be done on the laptop...

Thanks in advance

Specs:
• Intel Mobile Pentium III 1.13GHz -M /512KB Cache /133MHz fsb
• Intel 830MP Chipset
• 256MB / max 512MB / SODIMM, PC133 SDRAM, 3.3V
• 30.0GB / 4200 hard disk drive
• DVD-ROM/CDRW drive
• 14.1” TFT active-matrix display
• 16MB NVIDIA GeForce2Go
• Integrated V.90/56K modem
• Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

yay for the 300x series.

I miss mine...but are you sure it's i830?

my 3000-S353 was i815....it had a 512 limit.

the i830 chipset has a 1gig limit, IIRC. (maybe 2)

as for firewire drives, they won't perform much better than that the laptop's drive. What you gain in rotational speed and access times is countered by response time & throughput.

No no....

I meant an INTERNAL 7200 rpm drive....;)

The 250GB external drive is just for video storage...surgical procedures and such..:cool:

So basically what I'm saying is....

Will another 256 ram (which one) and a 7200 rpm drive make a noticeable performance improvement??

as i said earlier...gaming is not an issue...maybe some strategy or worms on the laptop..but all the newer ones will ONLY go on my desktop.....:)

I really cant understand how someone would buy a $2000-$3000 piece of equipment to specifically game with...!!??
Don't get me wrong...even though I'm 31, I love FPS and driving games...but on a LAPTOP...seriously...WHY??...banging on the keyboard to get that kill....!!!:eek: ....wouldnt the GREATEST and LATEST desktop at HALF the price do??..and if its LAN what its all about...a SFF would also do??!!

Just my 2 cents.....:rolleyes:

Sorry about that.....back to the performance issue....HELP ME:(

256 and a 7200 rpm hard drive should make typical applications faster and improve overall performance.
Probably adding 256MB more of ram will help you more than the 7200 rpm hard drive, but doing both will provide a nice boost in reducing load times. This is all assuming you're running Windows XP tho, lol, maybe for windows 98 and such 256 isn't that bad. But upgrading the slowest components of a computer never hurts :p

What about the PCMCIA issue??

If I purchase a PCMCIA card adapter with USB 2.0, will I have the SAME bandwidth as a laptop with a BUILT IN USB 2.0 port??

Originally posted by oymd
What about the PCMCIA issue??

If I purchase a PCMCIA card adapter with USB 2.0, will I have the SAME bandwidth as a laptop with a BUILT IN USB 2.0 port??

yes

Back