SATA trouble

overstand

Weaksauce
Ok, I went and bought a new SATA 160gb hard drive for my computer. Im trying to set it up on my Dell Dimension 8400(or my XPS). I know I need to have the drivers on a floppy and I know I need to press f6.

But where are these drivers? Do these dells have host adapters or are they built in to the mother board? Also, i've tried on both the 8400 and the XPS and still no luck.

Can anyone help me find these drivers please! Thanks!

FORGOT TO MENTION, IM REINSTALLING MY OS!
(it's not recognizing my hard drive when I go to install the hard drive, so hat's why i needed the "f6 drivers")

What do you need drivers for? I thought that was only needed for RAID?

I kind of need to know the same thing because I'm replacing my main IDE drive with a SATA drive in the next couple of days. Do I need to install drivers off a CD-ROM or something to get XP to install on it? (Haven't used a floppy in probably 5-6 years..)

Check in the BIOS to see if there's a "RAID" option. If so, disable it or set it to legacy ATA.

Are you re-installing the OS? If not, you should be able to install the drivers from any source.

It's likely that the SATA controller is on the MB. Just go to the BIOS and set up the SATA. Hint: RTFM! The Dell manual or web site should have instructions.

You shouldn't need to run them in IDE or legacy ATA mode, you can probably use AHCI if the MB supports it. Again - it should be in the manual, Dell's not bad on these things.

Chances are, you're running an Intel chipset motherboard, at which point, you won't need drivers at all. As others have mentioned, check your BIOS for the SATA settings. Also verify that the drive is being recognized in the BIOS as well.

Hello,

My name is Richard; I am from Dell's Online Community Outreach group here in Round Rock, Texas. If you go this link,http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R82876&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=7548&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=41&fileid=108901. You will be able to download the SATA drivers and read the information on how to use it.

Good luck!

Regards,
Richard B
Dell Online Community Outreach

Back